GB-46 1:72 AS.51 Horsa Mk.1 - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff.
Did you see my last post, with the bridge illustration ? We were posting at the same time I think.

Many thanks Terry, that illustrates the scene very well. It also confirms that my diorama skills are never going to achieve that 😂

I come across this this account on the web last night that goes into quite a lot of detail of the landing positions. Also confirming that Glider 4 was 8 miles out.

British Armed Forces & National Service

I'm going to stick with Glider 4 as I can imagine it's rarely modelled due to that fact.

Quick update, more assembly this evening.

The floor was in two pieces so glued and pined it in place on some balsa to square it up correctly. Also fitted the final benches.

392505B5-2895-459B-80AD-E817951CE7FF.jpeg

Finished assembly of the 5 pieces that make up the wings.

526F7CD7-FE16-4B81-97A9-8777CEFC42A7.jpeg

A bit of research has shown that the doors as described in the instructions are completely fictitious and do not fold down and outward with air stairs, and in fact was simply a door that rolled upwards inside the glider. Glad I caught that now before assembling.

Good stuff.
Note that the kit doors are probably correct, if it's a Mk1.
The Mk1 had the drop down door and side cargo door. The Mk.II had the 'roll up' door and a hinged nose, with explosive bolts to detach the tail section.
The towing attachments were also different between Mk1 and Mk.II - can't remember which was which without checking, but one type had the rope attachments under each wing, at the gear legs, and the other under the nose, at the nose wheel leg.

Good stuff.
Note that the kit doors are probably correct, if it's a Mk1.
The Mk1 had the drop down door and side cargo door. The Mk.II had the 'roll up' door and a hinged nose, with explosive bolts to detach the tail section.
The towing attachments were also different between Mk1 and Mk.II - can't remember which was which without checking, but one type had the rope attachments under each wing, at the gear legs, and the other under the nose, at the nose wheel leg.

Terry you are a wealth of knowledge. I'm assuming then a Mk1 as it's a D-Day bird?

The kit does come with parts for the cargo door but are excluded from the instructions. I guess these are excluded then to build a correct Mk1 for this particular model.

The MkI and MkII were both in service at the time.
The Mk.II had twin nose wheels, and it was this one which had the tow attachment at the nose wheel - the Mk.1 had the tow attachments at each main gear leg, under the wing, and a single nose wheel.
I'm really not sure about the door, as I've seen examples of both cargo door with integral 'passenger' door, and the single, slide-up door, although it seems that the Mk.II (with the hinged nose) only had the single door.
Most pics of the gliders at Pegasus bridge show the starboard side, except one I've seen - but the nose is wrecked, so hard to tell about the door !
Basically, you'd be safe to go with whatever is convenient, but only the 'passenger' door open.

Chris, I've got some info for you but for some reason I can't PM you. You don't have a "Start Conversation" button. I tried to do it with Terry and include you in the conversation but I get this

1588964373006.png

Chris, I've got some info for you but for some reason I can't PM you. You don't have a "Start Conversation" button. I tried to do it with Terry and include you in the conversation but I get this

Thanks Geo, I'll take a look into my settings etc and see what's happening. Will try and start a convo with you.

The MkI and MkII were both in service at the time.
The Mk.II had twin nose wheels, and it was this one which had the tow attachment at the nose wheel - the Mk.1 had the tow attachments at each main gear leg, under the wing, and a single nose wheel.
I'm really not sure about the door, as I've seen examples of both cargo door with integral 'passenger' door, and the single, slide-up door, although it seems that the Mk.II (with the hinged nose) only had the single door.
Most pics of the gliders at Pegasus bridge show the starboard side, except one I've seen - but the nose is wrecked, so hard to tell about the door !
Basically, you'd be safe to go with whatever is convenient, but only the 'passenger' door open.

Perfect again Terry. Just found this which could be conclusive evidence of it being a Mk1 (Credit to the webpage shown).

DEDE26EE-FC15-4F26-841A-9DDC4F395E05.jpeg

Just read the info that Geo sent, and it's clarified a few things.
It was the Mk.1 which had the towing eye under the nose, just forward of the nose wheel - the Mk.II had the 'y' shaped towing bridle, attached under each wing.
Mk.1 had the cargo door port side, Mk.II had the single door and hinged nose. Tail on both was originally removed using prima cord explosive, later replaced by 8 quick-release bolts, although the prima cord was retained for use in emergency. Mk 1 also had an extra door for para dropping, although I've never seen any evidence of the Horsa being used for this.
And yes, most likely Mk.1 at Pegasus bridge.

Thanks, I'll go over the green again to get a more solid colour but needed something a little washy to try and show the stained/varnished wood effect.

Good attention to detail Chris! Meant to mention that to you.

Thanks Evan.
To be fair I've seen mixed conditions of fully painted in the photos out there on the web. I think you could really go to town on detailing the interior but as I say, it's very much hidden so not worth spending too much time on.

So now I've ground to a halt whilst I still await delivery of my putty/filler.

There's a few ejector pin marks on the cockpit bulkhead that need dealing with before I can proceed further.

Hopefully it arrives some time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back