GB-46 1/72 IL-2 - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank ya fella's
bow.gif

Seat belts.......or fun with hardly used pricey tools which I bought so I could do stupid s**t like this, anyway I picked up this set of belts for an Amodel Yak-4 that I really need to get on finishing up after I pick up another set of these.
IMG_2823.jpg

The shoulder straps were easy enough, but then we get to the 3 piece lap belts............first one didn't go so well and it took a long time and a lot of fiddling around to get all the excess solder off of it but eventually I got there
IMG_2815.jpg

Installed.....
IMG_2816.jpg

OOp's let's put that on the right (left) side
IMG_2818.jpg

The second one went like the first one shoulda and I'm quit happy with it
IMG_2819.jpg

Now the fun part I forgot to take pics of on the last bit (because I was having so much fun
sAng_hissyfit.gif
)

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

And fit into position
IMG_2822.jpg

And the finished product, I should point out that I have Jason Moore's IL-2 book Kindle edition which has been very helpful, and one of the things it points out is that the early early models, which this one is I believe, had a full glazing behind the pilot unlike the later models so I had to sand off all the detail and mask off the larger version. The short belts are a bit obvious from behind at the moment but hopefully they won't be to obvious when the rear cover is on.
IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg
IMG_2839.jpg
IMG_2840.jpg

The cockpit colors are purely speculative based on a few pics and, I believe, slightly to dark. If you look closely at the side panel you'll see to dials that came as individual decals and worked beautifully so I have no worries about sticking them in the IP.

Looking around I see I missed the boat on the Academy 1/72 Twin seat IL-2 so if anyone has one kicking around they might not build and wouldn't mind a trade or reasonable amount of cash for it, let me know. thanks
default_beer.gif

Thank you for the positive vibes guys
grin.gif

So while the Beaufighter chills for a bit and I gots me some exotic foreign paints, I think it's time to play with the Il-2 for a bit.

Purely speculative, as I have no idea what the painting schedule happens to be but according to my reference the cockpit tub was manufactured elsewhere and shipped to the plant, I figured it might be possible that it was painted in A-14, good excuse to play with the new paints me thinkest.

US neutral grey has been cited as a reasonable stand in for A-14, I had originally painted up the sides with Model Master Neutral Grey, so it's easy to see the contrast between the two colors, with the Akan A-14 on the right.
IMG_2903.jpg

And then I splashed some AMT 7 blue on some bits and bobs
IMG_2904.jpg

Stuck all that together then mucked around with the side walls a bit
IMG_2908.jpg

and ended up with this.
IMG_2907.jpg

The Achilles heel of this kit is the tail wheel, once the glue sets up I'm going to re-enforce a bit with some good ole CA before I glue the rear of the fuselage together, and finish cleaning up the panel lines and seems. Waiting to glue the front end together until after one forces the cooling duct into position makes things a lot less fiddly.
IMG_2909.jpg

Good work Tim. I already broke my tail wheel twice. The second time I just tore it right off to be fixed later.

What AM did was not only to make the top of the cooling intake to flat, they made the duct far to shallow as well, which is unfortunate. They also failed to include the vertical vanes in the Duct of the 1/72 kit, so I added those, also added some shims to the sides at the bottom to center and provide something slather on some glue, as there isn't much by the way of glueing surfaces for this part to attach to.
IMG_2916.jpg

Also add some stripes to the inside of the fuselage cuase the points where this is supposed to attach has a finer edge then the trailing edges of the wings........

IMG_2915.jpg

Next up a good coat of gloss black on the innards and around the exhausts.
IMG_2917.jpg

I believe the duct was painted in a green color, so I threw some Tamiya green at it, probably not the correct shade of green but close enough for me
IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

And the view from underneath, you can see where the shims meet the fuselage half's
IMG_2929.jpg

And the fuselage joined together, The ducting isn't glued into place just yet and won't be until the propeller base is installed,
IMG_2930.jpg
IMG_2931.jpg

Must remember to install the IP before permanently inserting the interior.........................
default_banghead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back