GB-46 1:72 Ki-46-II (Dinah) - WW2 Eastern Front/ Twin Engined A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
User Name: A4K
Name: Evan
Category: 2 - Intermediate

Scale: 1:72
Kit: Hasegawa #02185: Mitsubishi Ki 46-II Type 100 Commandant Reconnaissance- Plane (Dinah) ' Green Cross'
Accessories:
Eduard #73614: Ki-46 II Dinah (PE), Eduard #CX141: Ki-46 II Dinah (canopy masks)

To be modelled as the Ki-46-II surrendered to the RNZAF at Jacquinot Bay. More details and photos to follow.

Cheers guys, love the Dinah. Will repair my son's one too while I'm at it.

Terry, cheers mate! You did send them to me when I made my son's (2015), so I should have them saved somewhere. If I can't find them again, I'll give you a yell!

Kit and accessories:

STA56980.JPG
STA56981.JPG
STA56982.JPG

In reality she wasn't as nice and neat as the box artwork suggests. The White was actually pretty washy, with original tail markings partially visible, and the crosses were a bit rougher too. Will post some photos and a brief history first chance I get.

Despite the radio (or in this case internet) silence, things ARE happening on this build!
Moulded internal details are being removed ready for PE walls, and mainplanes are in progress. Slow going as modelling time is still very limited, but will try to have pics up by saturday, also of the original bird.

Speaking of which, my subject aircraft was c/n 2783. Was uncertain of her internal colouring, as it apparently differed between batches, but have found colour photos on the net of the surviving wreckage of 2414 and B/W photos of 2846, both of which are painted in a Dark Blue (approx. Humbrol 79), so will assume 2783 had the same. A colour photo of the weathered remains of 2783 taken in 1981 does appear to support this.

Last edited:
Progress so far:

- Port interior detail removed for PE and nose attached (initial session). Cockpit floor modified for PE.
- Sanding of interior improved and ready for PE - starboard side next!
- Mainplanes together, upper fairings added (each version of Dinah had different fairings)
- Lower wings sans fairings, u/c attachment points modified as per Eduard PE instructions
- Parts on plans (by Shigeru Nohara). Almost perfect match, just needs a 1mm insert added at rudder attachment point.
Hasegawa wingtips very slightly more tapered compared to plans, but it's not really noticable. Will decide later if worth correcting.

More progress as and when I can!

STA56993.JPG
STA56994.JPG
STA56995.JPG
STA56996.JPG
STA56997.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back