GB 46 Split Build - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
This one crept up on me - just over a week away to the start of May 1st. Has anyone thought about what they'll be doing? Seems to be a wide range of possibilities and looking through my stash I have:

Accurate Miniatures B-25B Mitchell
Promodeller Bf110G-4
Revell Do217E-4
Accurate Miniatures Il-2 Sturmovik

I only have 3 other builds on the go that I should finish first!

Was just thinking about this myself !
Still got to get the two Andover's done, and finish a couple of models that have been sitting around for a year or more, as well as get back to the 1/32nd scale Hurricane..
But, if time and space allow, I have a few I could do, including a couple of Mosquitos, two Bf110s, two He 111s, two Do17s, a Ju88A-1 conversion, Ventura, B-25J, and a Blenheim Mk.IV on the way, all in 1/48th scale, plus a Bf110 in 1/32nd scale - this is assuming hat the twin-engine part is WW2 ?

Hmm, good point. Will need to go back to the survey thread that Michael did but given that we just finished a jets build, I'm going to assume WW2 for all of the splits.

Got the same problem. I have display cabinets, but need to add some extra glass shelves to them, and of course glass shelves are not 'essential items' at the moment, so can't get any !
May have to re-think the twin - engined subject, due to their size and space requirements

So I went back over the polling that led to the latest GB list. The Twin engined theme came from our friend Donivanp Donivanp and it was specifically recorded to be no time limit, i.e., any era could be represented. The gliders/transports came from Kirby (Turbo) who hasn't been around for the last two years. There was no specific period proposed but Michael lumped it together with the twins, which, as we said, had an open time frame.

So, it would seem that the split would be Eastern Front, which is clearly WW2 plus twins, transports and gliders from any era. Bring on the C-17's and the da Vinci gliders!

Forgive me for what I'm about to do. I'll do the bottom part to satisfy the twin-engine part. If I survive it I'll add the top

1587520724663.png

It's a Trimaster 190 and I heard these and their PE additions were sketchy at best. The destruction of the Ta154 is also a bit sketchy with no clear cutting instructions so I'll be removing and test fitting the bits

1587520935951.png

The colours aren't listed for the Ta154 but I'm thinking one of these combinations for which I will need help

1587521414063.png
1587521451217.png
1587521501037.png
1587521803257.png

I also have Fujimi's version of Hartmann's 109G-6 (when the hell did I get this?) The decals look pretty iffy. I do have some in the spares decal box

Oh Oh I forgot no time frame! I hear a KC-135 burnin' water! and I was looking for my Hs 129B-2 as that would do twins and eastern front in one. But a tanker, I spent most of my career working water burners. KC-135A, and D, EC-135G and L. and a cood portion on the R models as well. I've got the old ESCI A, E, R, EC-135 and RC-135. I love to hate that kit.

Geo my FW190 build here used the Dragon kit and yes it was a bit of a beyatch. That Mistel combination never happened in reality so it's a bit of a "do what you want" for paint. I'd need to dig into the Ta154 schemes but I think it mostly carried night schemes of RLM 75 blotches over 76.

Ah !
Any period means i can do the Andovers. As I didn't get anywhere with the one in the current GB, I'll move it to the new GB.
That also opens up more possibilities, with 2 Jaguars, a RAF Phantom, Canberra, Javelin, Tornado GR1 and EE Lightning in the stash, all 1/49th scale.

Ah !
Any period means i can do the Andovers. As I didn't get anywhere with the one in the current GB, I'll move it to the new GB.
That also opens up more possibilities, with 2 Jaguars, a RAF Phantom, Canberra, Javelin, Tornado GR1 and EE Lightning in the stash, all 1/49th scale.
I can see you salivating now, eyes wide and dilated as you do a Lon Chainy wolfman transformation into the MODEL MAN!

Kinda what I'm going through now. C-130, S-3B, EA-6A&B, F-4 (I only have 30 to choose from) F-15 (like F-4) F-22, C-2, and the list goes on and on.

Thought about a B-36, that could count as five entries, right?

Always thought it was an aerial tanker but then I'm not up on my post ww2
A KC-135 is at its hart a C-135. The K (tanker) is a modifying code which starts it can transfer fuel. It continues to carry cargo and and personnel as well as tank aircraft. The EC-135 though it's original airframe is the C-135, does little in the way of transport and the RC even less. The C-135 is indeed a full time cargo/transport aircraft and in the SAC days the KC-135 did little transport, save for SAC assets, but primarily preformed tanker operations. After the demise of SAC, the tankers were transferred to AMC (Air Mobility Command) and were put into regular cargo hauling duties making up for the loss of the C-141 while awaiting the C-17. SAC had never let them be used as such as they were a nuclear deterrent asset to get bombers to their targets.

So in short, IMHO, any KC asset is a tanker/transport aircraft. KC-130, KC-97, KC-46, etc... But I'll leave that to the judges. The Marines use there KC-130 much the same way. Duel asset tanker cargo.

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll do a drug runner Beechcraft then :lol:
I've worked U-21's as Quality Assurance from 1994 to 1996 at Robins AFB, The King Air is used by USAF, USMA, USA and USN is a VIP transport, trainer and short haul light cargo aircraft as well as a pilot proficiency trainer. That being said, if you don't want to call a KC for the build, I don't mind. I believe I have several different subjects in my stash.

Not to be smart a$$ed, but I am well versed in the post WWII USA aircraft functions, and in particular the heavies. I have worked C-130, C/KC/EC-135, C-5, C-141, C-140, B-52D, G, and H aircraft in my 20 years. So I do speak with some knowledge as to their function and capacities. I will agree that and EC and an RC do not fit in with any part of this group build but 12 year on tankers in both SAC and AMC I have seen more freight moved on KC-135's then the whole C-135 fleet, of course there were very few "C"-135's built and over 700 KC-135's. My wife's first flight of her life was on a KC-135D (RC-135D (four ea) tail 8058, 8059, 8060 and 8061, converted back to KC-135 status, nose heavy due to steal floor instead of wood floor and heaver break than on the A's), from Howard AB Panama to Grissom AFB Indiana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back