GB-48 Split Build - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII / Military A/C before 1939 (incl Spanish Civil War)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Has the GB started? I found a Minicraft British PV1 on sale. Looks like a Mk I or II.

have built a whole string of spanish civil war aircraft. nothing at the moment in my stash. With this Covid thingy happening have my son and his girlfriend moving back in so no time for building. Still hoping to get the Catalina finished

I had almost decided on doing the Revell (ex-Matchbox) PB4Y-2 Privateer I have in my stash. I pulled it down and had a close look at the kit and decided that I didn't feel like going through all the work it would take for me to make a barely acceptable finished model out of it right now.
When I was putting it back I saw this PB4Y-1. I had bought it years ago for mainly sentimental reasons as it was the first plane model I built with my father when I was about 7 or 8 back in the early '70s. I took a look at it and I think I'm gonna go for it, building it out of the box for the most part. I think the one I built with Dad is still up in the attic in a box. Must see if I can find it.

P1013127 - Small.JPG

I had almost decided on doing the Revell (ex-Matchbox) PB4Y-2 Privateer I have in my stash. I pulled it down and had a close look at the kit and decided that I didn't feel like going through all the work it would take for me to make a barely acceptable finished model out of it right now.
When I was putting it back I saw this PB4Y-1. I had bought it years ago for mainly sentimental reasons as it was the first plane model I built with my father when I was about 7 or 8 back in the early '70s. I took a look at it and I think I'm gonna go for it, building it out of the box for the most part. I think the one I built with Dad is still up in the attic in a box. Must see if I can find it.

View attachment 603939
Sung to the weather out side is frightful but the fire is so delightful
Sand sand sanding all day long, Oh the rivets ar in 46th and the panel lines are in 32, the kit says 72 but I'm really not sure so I sand sand sand!

I have been thinking of having a go at GB48 for a few months but I wanted to check on eligibility. I fancy building a what if Sea Hurricane II with folded wings, would this be acceptable. I obviously won't have a kit to work from so it definitely won't be OOB.

What I do have is bits of 3 1/72 Hurricane kits from AZ, Arma and Airfix although the kits have been horribly robbed for other projects I think there's just enough to make a model with a bit of scratch building. Somewhere I even have a Hercules engine and nacelle bought for a project that never happened.

So should I have a go with the mix up or should I buy a proper kit.

When I was putting it back I saw this PB4Y-1. I had bought it years ago for mainly sentimental reasons as it was the first plane model I built with my father when I was about 7 or 8 back in the early '70s. I took a look at it and I think I'm gonna go for it, building it out of the box for the most part.

Here's an idea, you can do something very different but on the same lines. Do a British Liberator Mk.II (I've mentioned this before on another thread). Take the wings from the Matchbox Privateer and fit them to the PB4Y-1, get hold of a Handley Page Halifax Mk.III kit and rob the rear and upper turrets of it and then you can go ahead and build your Liberator Mk.II. The Mk.II was unique to the British - it was the first long nose Liberator and it had the un-turbosupercharged engines, hence the use of the Privateer wings for the model, but it had British guns, the Boulton Paul tail and mid upper turret, but the turret was aft of the wing box, not in the usual position aft of the cockpit. See the picture below. This is something I'd like to do one day, but don't really have the skill to do. I know you do though.

15651205420_c99f7936e9_o.jpg (1621×875) (thisdayinaviation.com)

From here: Consolidated LB-30 Liberator II Archives - This Day in Aviation

Here's an idea, you can do something very different but on the same lines. Do a British Liberator Mk.II (I've mentioned this before on another thread). Take the wings from the Matchbox Privateer and fit them to the PB4Y-1, get hold of a Handley Page Halifax Mk.III kit and rob the rear and upper turrets of it and then you can go ahead and build your Liberator Mk.II. The Mk.II was unique to the British - it was the first long nose Liberator and it had the un-turbosupercharged engines, hence the use of the Privateer wings for the model, but it had British guns, the Boulton Paul tail and mid upper turret, but the turret was aft of the wing box, not in the usual position aft of the cockpit. See the picture below. This is something I'd like to do one day, but don't really have the skill to do. I know you do though.

Interesting concept that only requires three kits to create one.

I have been thinking of having a go at GB48 for a few months but I wanted to check on eligibility. I fancy building a what if Sea Hurricane II with folded wings, would this be acceptable. I obviously won't have a kit to work from so it definitely won't be OOB.

What I do have is bits of 3 1/72 Hurricane kits from AZ, Arma and Airfix although the kits have been horribly robbed for other projects I think there's just enough to make a model with a bit of scratch building. Somewhere I even have a Hercules engine and nacelle bought for a project that never happened.

So should I have a go with the mix up or should I buy a proper kit.

I'm "on board" with that, ahem.

Interesting Idea, but I'm already working on a major surgical job with the Twin P-40 right now and don't think I'm up for tackling two at the same time.
Something you should consider if you try this project your self. The Privateer did not have superchargers, but the engine cowlings were NOT like the early Liberators. They looked very similar to the standard B-24 cowling with the oil coolers on either side but turned 90 degrees so the oil coolers were on top and bottom making the nacelles the right width for the Mk.II but much too deep, so either way you go - either Privateer wings, or standard B-24 wings - you will have to do some major surgery or kit bashing on the cowling/nacelles
On the plus side I don't think you will have to sacrifice a Halifax kit for the turrets. Squadron Crystal Clear Canopies set #9190 for the Halifax has the clear canopy parts I think you need. You'll just have to work out something for the body of the turrets.

Something you should consider if you try this project your self.

Hmm, too complex for my skills. that's why I suggested it to you, you are more likely to carry off something like that more successfully than me. Altering the nacelles would certainly be an issue, but not a too large one - replacement nacelles from a different aircraft altogether? Nevertheless, a bit beyond my skill set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back