GB-50 1:48 SB2C-4 Helldiver - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Most of the wings/fuselage fit was self-inflicted by younger, less experienced George. The bomb bay fit not being so good. Spent the morning hacking and slashing the outer areas of the bomb bay and now have a gosh darned good test fit. I'll start gluing together once the missus returns as this will take three hands and despite all the radiation I receive, no third arm is evolving yet. There is a step that shows how to mount the bay doors close by removing them from the inner frame. I removed one and the fit is atrocious. I'm glad I used the Tamiya fine saw to remove it as a test fit shows a great reattachment.
I've been melting stretched sprue into gaps with TET lately.
Just started doing that myself and for the most part it works great. I say most part but as mentioned in another build, I have a tendency to bevel the edges outward when I'm sanding. Really working hard to avoid this in the future. I've been reading a bit lately about glue goop and might give this a shot as well. I've got about 4mm left in a TET bottle which I will tranfer over to an empty cleaned out Tamiya paint bottle; this being for easier access. Right now I'm looking for info about how long this stuff will last in a bottle before it sets up

Thanks Hugh. Waiting for mud to dry and the Blue Jays starting in 4 minutes I decided to tackle this......24 of 43 done.

IMG_0005.JPG

and for our American friends....

IMG_0007.JPG

GO JAYS.png

Still trying to get the wings lined up. I centered the fuselage and found that the wing-tip of the right side was 4mm so I added plastic strip along the join, glued it on and let it set over night. I just went down and rechecked everything and something looked amiss. I added the landing gear, which I should have done in the first place, remeasured and found the right side was now low. Heavy sigh......snapped the wing off....removed the plastic strip....walked away. I'll deal with this shortly

I could always do a junkyard dio...

IMG_0001.JPG

....all good though, everything reattached. Why use two sprue attachment points when you can make three. Not sure what the notches are for on the life raft container as they aren't shown on the instructions so I lined up the best I could using the clear piece it will be mounted to later

IMG_0002.JPG

Doing little bits as I have to wait until I go to PG on Thur/Fri and pray they have red paint. I need it for the dive flaps and to paint the fuselage stripe on my Spitfire in the Start to Finish thread. Thinned out the exhausts as the resembled 6" cast iron drain pipes and also attached the exhaust fairings

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back