GB 50 Zombie Build - Waddayathinkin?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Our first ever "Zombie build" starts in a little under 3 weeks.

"The theme of this Group Build is to resume and finish any aircraft model that was started and abandoned, whether in a previous GB or not. The model must be an aircraft but can be any type representing any time frame. For the benefit of those "few" who are genetically predisposed to finish what they started, and who therefore have no started-but-unfinished kits, this GB will be open to include any aircraft model that has not been started."

Though I have many models that qualify, I think I will start with my unfinished Wellington from GB 40 as it's been sitting beside my workbench staring at me ever since I stopped. Hopefully I'll get it done but summer tends to be a slow modeling time for me. However, if it rains every day and I finish the Wimpy, next in line would be my unfinished Fairey Battle or Anson

Just to confirm what was discussed in the new schedule thread, this GB, like every other one, will be limited to 4 entries.

What's everybody thinking?

I have quite a few Zombie projects.
I suspect one entry (of the 4 we're permitted) will be a P-47, another will be a Ju 88, then I have a P-51 and an Airacobra to finish. I might still change them order (or even the actual planes), as I have lots of shelf-queens.

Going with my Academy Helldiver. It looks the less stressful of the bunch. I've found an Academy F-86 that looks like it was ready for the paint stage. The problem with my Zombie stash is that its mixed in with my future zombie projects and its taking a while to find them. I also found a Corsair Mk.II, a Tamiya F4U that I squared off the wing tips. Just ready for decals but a while ago I saw a photo off an FAA Corsair leaving the flight deck and the codes were just letters starting with X, XVII⦿ or something like that. Ya think I can find it again?

Just ready for decals but a while ago I saw a photo off an FAA Corsair leaving the flight deck and the codes were just letters starting with X, XVII⦿ or something like that. Ya think I can find it again?
I believe it's this photo:
P1RqDji.gif

The text I saved is: "Corsair III 1944 Fleet Air Arm". I remembered it because of the trails.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Now.....camo or blue/codes in white or sky/ can't see a serial number but Karl sent me a link and it shows the aircraft had "ROYAL NAVY KD808" in white and looks like 4" - 6" in characters.

Now.....camo or blue/codes in white or sky/ can't see a serial number but Karl sent me a link and it shows the aircraft had "ROYAL NAVY KD808" in white and looks like 4" - 6" in characters.

Not sure if the serial number was white. If it was it would be noticed in the pic above. I would say it was of black at that time. Contrary to that the one had the number white. The caption says it's Corsair IV though.

F4U_FAA.jpg

The pic source: Corsair Mk IV FAA | World War Photos

BTW.. as far as the camo is concerned...
IMHO the two kites in pics sent by Yves , wore the two tone FAA camo on tops. It indictes the lighter undersides that were painted with the Sky. However, the one posted by me seems to be of the US Dark Sea Blue overall. No lighter undersides I would say. Also it may indicate the white serial.

I found a Ryan PT that I never finished before i got married. Second plane I spray painted. Just needs the wire on the tail, engine and markings. It was the second of three I was making. AT6, PT 20. and a Steerman.

Opening up the builds to those of us that are super AR is great news. Now I can, in good faith, submit my 'adopted' Zombie, the Me509. I am looking forward to detailing, as suggested, in the prototype finish (however that really looked - I have some pictures but are the accurate?).

Up at the top of my very long list is the Monogram F-102 I started back in May 2012 and have been working on and off (mostly off) for the last 9 years.

P1012969.JPG

Last edited:
Must be in the air, i was tidying my model room and found my B-26 i started for a group build eons ago.
All the bits are there its mostly together, painted in NM but i did a crap job and has since been used to test paint colour.
Wondering if i can resurrect it as its undamaged !

Must be in the air, i was tidying my model room and found my B-26 i started for a group build eons ago.
All the bits are there its mostly together, painted in NM but i did a crap job and has since been used to test paint colour.
Wondering if i can resurrect it as its undamaged !
Paint it up like a squadron hack. Who would know? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back