GB-55 1/48 B-25D-1 Mitchell - MTO III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. The following shot shows a few things on the go. Starting at top left, the two cowl fillers have been smoothed down and a bit of Tamiya grey primer dabbed on. At top right, the incorrect panel lines on the nacelles that were filled with primer a while back have been sanded. And in the foreground is the start at my attempt to widen the carb intakes

View attachment 698022

Lots more plastic dust to come.
Andy, if you want to stop at that point for a while....
On ebay there is always a guy who's selling some AM B-25 kits for parts. I bought the B-25G conversion-set for less than $ 5.00 US. Here's the trick - those guys don't like canucks! The shipping for the part I mentioned was $19.00 US!!! I wrote something negative about the deal and the next day the same seller increased the shipping to $25.00. o_O
I just checked the evil bay - see here. Shipping to Canada is $ 24.00 (must be the same guy as in my description, but the name is different). Shipping to U.S. - $6.99. O.K. it's not cheap, but this is the original part with the wide intake. There might be a different market place (kijiji?) selling the same part too.
O.K. - here is a plan B: Great Hobbies are selling the Academy-clone of the AM model for $42.99 CAD - check here. This kit has the 2 versions of cowlings and intakes. If you buy it, you can use both: for this project and for a later one (e.g. you can try any early B-25 modified in the MTO or SWPA we've been discussing here so much). This is actually the cheapest early B-25 in 1/48 one can buy. The Revell-clone is around $70.
These were my 2 cents.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Don, Hugh.

The carb intakes have been roughly shaped - and I mean roughly. Putty has since gone in some of the gaps and these will be sanded down when dry.

22121201.jpg

Looking good, enjoy watching you bend the plastic to your will. Like a plastic Jedi, be the plastic!

So here's the first pass at putty/sand/prime. I glued the intake assembly from earlier onto the wings so I could hold it all down for the sanding process.

22121601.jpg

It's difficult to see imperfections when one is dealing with two colours so the primer coat is good for showing things better and to help gill any minor divots. I took these shots not only to post as progress but also for me to be able to see better what I need to fix.

22121602.jpg
22121603.jpg

Not bad for a first pass. More a'fillin' and a'sandin' ahead. Thanks for the look.

....Not bad for a first pass. More a'fillin' and a'sandin' ahead. Thanks for the look.
This may help you: I measured the original part of my Academy-clone and the front of the intake is 10.4-10.5mm wide.
Don't know what's the exact width of the original intake 1:1 though.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back