GB-57 1/48 Luftwaffe P-51B Mustang - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What would you like to know?
Looking at the model, its almost completely built, canopy on but I'm assuming this was just placed for the pic shoot. But legs and wheels fitted, are they fixed in so you have to paint them in situ after all your spraying. Same question with the prop! Just curious. :D

The canopy is fixed- I will be masking it for spraying.
The wheels and leg covers are still separate, but the legs are glued in. The prop is just sitting on the axle, and is still separate.

So Olaf I have built some of the newer ICM's in multi-engine they are really Nice but the P-51 was one of the original's..What's your thoughts on the fit and casting?I have plenty of P-51s but may go some of the other earlier types? :dontknow:

So Olaf I have built some of the newer ICM's in multi-engine they are really Nice but the P-51 was one of the original's..What's your thoughts on the fit and casting?I have plenty of P-51s but may go some of the other earlier types? :dontknow:
Hmmmm. I think the casting is fairly good- I found minimal flash. The fit is also quite acceptable. I can't compare to any other P-51s, but it's similar to the '109 I built before I started commenting here regularly.

This one is going on hold for a bit- my friend whose airbrush I was going to use has just welcomed a new baby to the family, so I can't use the airbrush until he's settled down a bit.
Baby or family settled down? The airbrush should be fine.

Ok, so she's on her legs
Next up, a bit of filling and cleaning, and then my first go at spray-painting. The metal uppers over a black base.
View attachment 709392
What can you do to fix the prop blades ... I'm not a modeler, but I know that NO real Mustang ever had props with base of the cuff/blade soooo far from the spinner, and the profile of the cuffs is wrong ... the chord of the cuffs near to the spinner a not nearly as wide as seen on the ones with this model. I've seen this on otherwise WONDERFULLY built models and they stick out like the proverbial "sore thumb."

I've attached a collage of 3 of my photos of production Merlin Mustang props (well, NOT including the P-51H, of course) and you can see what I'm talking about.

I'd bet that with a little judicious cutting off of some of the extra shaft and sanding (what-EVER y'all do to make things smaller), you're Mustang will be perfect!

Be sure to post photos of the finished model!

Attachments

• p51 props 3.jpg
    p51 props 3.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back