**** DONE: GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Ia - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you are using the kit decals then I'm surprised they aren't behaving for you. Tamiya was well known for thick decals on their past kits but my experience with this new kit was a good one IIRC.

If you are using the kit decals then I'm surprised they aren't behaving for you. Tamiya was well known for thick decals on their past kits but my experience with this new kit was a good one IIRC.
And I thought I was going to have enough decal softener to last a loooong time.:confused: After three application of MARKFIT Strong and at least two of the Mr. Softener on the fuselage roundels I gave up. I did get some detail by slathering the decal and soaking a Que tip in the softener solution, and then rolling it over the raised details (hinges and such). The large wing roundels did well enough though. I'll say one thing for these decals, they sure have a very aggressive glue!! Even per-wetting an area to allow for adjustments was not enough to keep the decals moveable without having to brush additional water on and around them. Maybe my gloss (probable) was not shiny enough??

A note on the Mr. Softener (for me anyway), it seems to not work well with Tamiya coatings; discoloring and leaving a residue behind.

My thanks Gentlemen for your interest and encouragement.

Well, were almost done. Decals are on though I must say that they were a bit of a bother, not so much in placing them but in getting them to bed down, the are very thick and not conducive to showing the underlying detail. I've given them some very good soaks today with micro sol but there still very resistant.
View attachment 782194
View attachment 782195View attachment 782196
View attachment 782197
With luck tomorrow I'll get all the little bits on and a final dull spray before wiring it up and fitting the canopy and armour windscreen.
:lol: :lol:
The decals seem to have 'behaved'? I was a bit concerned on the placement of the starboard side 'DW' on my build, seemed to be a couple of percentage larger than what is shown on illustrations? Looking at your placement it seems that you had too compromise as well?

I did cut out most of the inner and outer blank areas on the lettering; hoping to minimize any silvering issues. Seems to have worked, but sure made pushing them around a bit harder.

I'm calling this one done and my sincere thanks to all you good folks for all the support, help and comments during this enjoyable build. It was a good build except for one small hiccup with the windscreen not wanting to bed down properly and consequently the armour screen sits a bit proud.

A few final pics.
20240610 1.JPG

20240610 2.JPG

20240610 3.JPG

:thumbright:

PS. ... not sure but the IFF antanna wires shouldn't be attached there. IIRC, during the BoB the pip-squeak system was more in usage. Working with the TR 9D HF and TR.1133 VHF radio-sets it used the top antenna. The tail wires appeared with the Mark II IFF device at the end of the BoB late in 1940. The well known pictures of the DW-K were taken in July 1940.

I'm calling this one done and my sincere thanks to all you good folks for all the support, help and comments during this enjoyable build. It was a good build except for one small hiccup with the windscreen not wanting to bed down properly and consequently the armour screen sits a bit proud.

A few final pics.
View attachment 782624
View attachment 782625
View attachment 782626
Looks great from here!!! Just now read Wojtek's comments on antennas?? I have read that the BoBs did not have the fuselage to tail wires (cheese cutters?), so that may be what he is referring to? But it looks like you have tamed the small decals much better than I. My ***DONE*** posting due tomorrow so we can compare ;)

Looks great from here!!! Just now read Wojtek's comments on antennas?? I have read that the BoBs did not have the fuselage to tail wires (cheese cutters?), so that may be what he is referring to? But it looks like you have tamed the small decals much better than I. My ***DONE*** posting due tomorrow so we can compare ;)
Yes, that's what Wojtek was referring to. The horizontal stab to fuselage wires, nicknamed cheese cutters, replaced the earlier system and then in turn were replaced with a spike antenna under the starboard wing.which were carried till the end of the war.

My thanks everyone for the kind comments. Really appreciated. :lol::lol:

:thumbright:

PS. ... not sure but the IFF antanna wires shouldn't be attached there. IIRC, during the BoB the pip-squeak system was more in usage. Working with the TR 9D HF and TR.1133 VHF radio-sets it used the top antenna. The tail wires appeared with the Mark II IFF device at the end of the BoB late in 1940. The well known pictures of the DW-K were taken in July 1940.
Thanks Wojtek and I did weigh this up but decided that as this DW-K took it's first flight in April 1940 as a factory fresh machine and was then in constant use until being struck of charge in August, it would have retained the "cheese cutter" aerial. :thumbright::lol:

I see. For most Spitfires in the Battle of Britain, they shouldn't be there, and the mounting points on the fuselage shouldn't either. They weren't widely fitted until late in 1940, and almost always mounted either at the same time with TR.1133 set or in the machines already carrying the new system. What is more if the IFF device and its antennae were attached, the radio antenna wire ( required by the TR.9D radio set ) from the mast to the fin tip was removed because the TR.1133 used the blade antennae type. So .. if the kite was a factory brand new made in the April 1940 she didn't have the IFF device and its "cheese cutter" aerial attached. Unless I'm wrong.

Oh well, not to worry and thanks for the input and info my friend. She is all done and dusted now but I'll keep this info in mind for the next time. :thumbright: :lol: :lol:
It is lovely. It is.
Wurger being Wurger so he must be right.

But i look at it this way. If it had not this amazing quality of a build no one would have noticed this tiny tiny detail. In fact i have learned from it.
Up to the next one. Hope you had as much fun building as i had following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back