**** DONE: GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Ia - Spitfires (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow that kit has beautiful detail, a much improved kit over the antique kit I have from 1994! Very impressive cockpit, can't wait to see the rest of the kit!

Looks great Vic.
One thing though, if it isn't too late - the control column is back to front. The gun button should be top left when viewed from the pilot's seat, and the brake lever (the "bar" inside the circular grip) was bare metal.

Looks great Vic.
One thing though, if it isn't too late - the control column is back to front. The gun button should be top left when viewed from the pilot's seat, and the brake lever (the "bar" inside the circular grip) was bare metal.
Oh my goodness! Thanks Terry, I was so engrossed trying to fix in the seat belts that it went unnoticed. I've just nipped into the hanger and corrected. Again, thanks. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow that kit has beautiful detail, a much improved kit over the antique kit I have from 1994! Very impressive cockpit, can't wait to see the rest of the kit!
It's a combination of kit and PE from Eduards. :thumbright: :lol:

Many thanks for popping in Gents. Today had been a good Sunday at the workbench, the cockpit is complete and we are all buttoned up. I cold have also added the tail rudder but seeing as it has a nice delicate aerial wire post just waiting to be snapped off, I decided to leave this addition to later in the build.

20240526 1.JPG

20240526 2.JPG

20240526 3.JPG

20240526 4.JPG

Now I have a question for you knowledgeable Spitfire gurus. These delightful Airfix instructions that cover a number of Spitfire variants indicate that this Mk.1a aircraft only carried 4 x .303 Browning's, two in each wing and duly only provide 4 little stubs representing these guns. However, the instructions and kit wing parts also have provision i.e gun ports for 8 such Browning's. To my knowledge the Mk.1a carried 8 x .303 Browning's and if this is so, luckily I have the necessary barrels to cover this. So confirmation please Gents, how many Browning's!
20240526 5.JPG

20240526 6.JPG

My thanks for your help. :lol: :lol:

Many thanks for popping in Gents. Today had been a good Sunday at the workbench, the cockpit is complete and we are all buttoned up. I cold have also added the tail rudder but seeing as it has a nice delicate aerial wire post just waiting to be snapped off, I decided to leave this addition to later in the build.

View attachment 780427
View attachment 780428
View attachment 780429
View attachment 780430

Now I have a question for you knowledgeable Spitfire gurus. These delightful Airfix instructions that cover a number of Spitfire variants indicate that this Mk.1a aircraft only carried 4 x .303 Browning's, two in each wing and duly only provide 4 little stubs representing these guns. However, the instructions and kit wing parts also have provision i.e gun ports for 8 such Browning's. To my knowledge the Mk.1a carried 8 x .303 Browning's and if this is so, luckily I have the necessary barrels to cover this. So confirmation please Gents, how many Browning's!
View attachment 780431
View attachment 780432
My thanks for your help. :lol: :lol:

Yes, the MK.I, Mk.Ia and Mk.IIa were armed with the 8x .303 Browning MGs ( 4 MGs per a wing ). According to the diagram below the barrels were located in the wing fully. However the two most outer ones had the barrel muzzles quite close to the wing leading edge. As memo serves the barrels were put in the metal tubes initially but later these were removed usually. The protruding barrels of the outer MGs happened very rarely IIRC for the Mk.Ia/Mk.IIa and are associated with the early Mk.I usually.. In most pics of the late Mk.I and Mk.IA the MG barrels are hidden inside and unnoticeable at all. What is more , it should be kept in mind that the MG outlets were covered with the rectangular or square fabric stickers before a flight to protect the MGs and slightly improve the airflow on the wing.
Also see the thread Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire I (looks odd)

Spitfire A wing.jpg

the early Mk.I ...
Spitfire Mk.I early.jpg

Spit1_d.jpg

mk1_b-jpg.jpg

mk1-jpg.jpg

the later ones ...
Spit1_a.jpg

Spit1_.jpg

Spit1_b.jpg

Spit1_c.jpg

Spit1.jpg

Spit2_a.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Many thanks my friend and from what you say I must assume that Airfix only supplied the barrels for the two outer guns as barrels were close to the inner part of the wing leading edge while the others were deeper within the wing. :lol: :lol:

Yeah .. generally it can be said just in the way. IMHO if these protruded or not it could depend of the firing distance the MGs were set at. But I may be wrong. Anyway in all known pics of the DW-O and DW-K Spits the barrels of the MGs aren't noticable because of the fabric patches/stickers glued. So if you are going to add the stickers you may omitt the parts for the outer Brownings.

Spit1_e.jpg

the source: the net.

A bit late to see your wonderful progress Vic but I recall when I built mine that Darryl the cockpit guru corrected my reddish brown seat cushion to be either black or dark green on the early Spits. For next time given that you've draped those shoulder belts over it now.
Oh well, not to worry. In the instructions they state Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown and for once in my life I'd decided that on this build I would follow the instructions to a 'T' and as you say Andy, a bit late to change now. :lol::lol:

Thanks for all the wise help and comments Gent's. With today's progress were almost ready for spray-time, just a little bit of masking and we should be able to apply the Sky. Not sure if I'll get to it tomorrow though, it's a bit of an appointment day.

20240527 1.JPG

20240527 2.JPG

:lol: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back