Getting started

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If they said that it means they know nothing about LW paints and aren't helpful at all.

These RLM numbers are the German Air Ministry numbers mentioned or listed in all documents for painting Luftwaffe planes. I always use them or FS numbers beause different paint manufacturers use their own numbers and names. So...

Humbrol for RLM70 is 91 ( Matt Black Green ) and RLM71 is 30 ( Matt Dark Green )

Gunze Sang. RLM70 is H65 and H64 for RLM71

Testors enamels RLM70 - 2080 and RLM71 - 2081

Xtracolor RLM70 - 1023 and RLM71 - 1024

Lifecolour RLM70 - UA051 and RLM71 - UA052

Last edited:
That was quick Wojtek :thumbright: With this kind of help, even I might be able to complete this mission satisfactory :lol:

I already have Humbrol no 91, so I'll need to buy no. 30. Will be next week I'm afraid. Don't want to risk the weather again today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Marcel. That's a pity these guys at the LHS weren't so quick. It would save you from going there again and again. Oh.. of course you need a paint for undersides. It was RLM65 Hellblau. The Humbrol equivalent is Humbrol no.65. A few guys suggest mixing with 30% of Humbrol 23 Duck Egg Blue. But I have used the H65 without that for the Airfix Bf 109E of 1/24 scle and it looked good.

Thank you Marcel. That's a pity these guys at the LHS weren't so quick. It would save you from going there again and again. Oh.. of course you need a paint for undersides. It was RLM65 Hellblau. The Humbrol equivalent is Humbrol no.65. A few guys suggest mixing with 30% of Humbrol 23 Duck Egg Blue. But I have used the H65 without that for the Airfix Bf 109E of 1/24 scle and it looked good.
Thanks Wojtek, we figured the RLM65, so this one I already got. I'm not goint to mix in my first attempt of modelling after 20 years, so it'll have to do.

Good work there Wojtek my friend. And yes Marcel, the Humbrol No. 65 is fine in this scale for the RLM65. When you get to the time for decals, I might have some spare Luftwaffe code letters - let me know and I'll check my files.

Okay, researching which ju87 I want to do. About 10 km from my house, A stuka crashed.
I./St.G.77 IV./LG1
No 5513
L1 HW
Pilot Unteroffizier W Bienk and Gefreiter Langer

Shot down by GA Brown, Spitfire N3027 on may 13th 1940.

Have to find some pictures of StG 77 Stuka's.

Here you are a profile of Stuka B-1 of IV./LG1 coded L1+HU used over France 1940...

0-Ju-87B-10.LG1-(L1+HU)-Germany-1940-0A.jpg

And one in 1939 coded L1+GE ...

0-Ju-87B-IV(St).LG1-(L1+GE)-Stolp-East-Prussia-1939-0A.jpg

and one of the I./St.G 77 , France 1940.

0-Ju-87B1-1.StG77-(S2+AH)-Staffelkapitan-Trogemann-Caen-France-1940-0A.jpg

As you might have noted the L1 code was used for LG1 rather. The St.G 77 used different code.

Thanks for the profiles Wojtek. That squadron logo. Can I get that somewhere? And do you have the pattern on the wings as well?
I got the paint. Now started. First repaired the propeller. I found out that my Father-in-law made a mistake when building the propeller/engine unit. The propellor shaft sticks out too much, so it doesn't fit in the fuselage or else would be a big gap between the spinner and the body. He also forgot some parts, Something that should be fitted inside the spinner (called "bearing 4") is not inserted (see pic). He glued it all together, so I cannot repair it anymore. I'm wondering if I should saw off the propeller from the engine, throw away the engine and fix the propeller on the body with glue. It won't be able to turn then, but it'll look right, I guess :confused:.
IMG_0349.jpeg

As memory serves a such kind of models with these elo motors, has the spinner with the prop and the entire rest parts usually attached with a negative allowance. Just pressed on the motor shaft. Try to pull it off firstly.

The camo scheme was the standard RLM one for all Stuks bombers. Here you are examples... source the Internet.

Attachments

• stu1.jpg
    stu1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 153
  • stu2.jpg
    stu2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 154
  • stu3.jpg
    stu3.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 149
The emblem for the StG77 Staffel

0-emblem-1.StG77-0A.jpg

And the one for IV./LG1. However the background seems to be of a light blue colour.

0-emblem-IV.LG1-0A.jpg

0-emblem-IV.LG1-BS.jpg

Last edited:
Me too Jan, :) But it happened, I finally started. Jippiieee! Took me a while but eventually got there.
First tried out the black on the inside. As there is no cockpit floor, the chairs will be suspended in mid-air. So I thought I should paint it black inside (humms a Rolling Stones tune). I also painted the prop, bombs and tires. BTW what's the best order to work in for the hull/wings? Assemble first and then paint or the other way around (showing my noobiness here). Well I decided to paint all the small stuff firs, bombs, bomb-rack, tires etc. Then I will glue the wings and hull together and start painting that.
I guess it won't become as live-real as some of you do, but I hope my father in law will appriciate it. Wish me luck.

Edit:
Oh one question, the prop spinner what color is that? Looks dark, but I guess it's not black? Could I do that with RLM70?
Edit2: Cellphone pictures, not very good but what can you do?

Attachments

• IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Looks like a good start Marcel! :thumbright:
Think that the prop blades are blackgreen, can't remember the RLM number right now, but I'm sure that you'll be filled in soon...
Assemble and then paint the fuselage and wings etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back