Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen that shot before somewhere and it is a bit puzzling. Hanging behind her in some fashion is what looks like a coil set for an SCR-283 radio transmitter. The 283 was an older type of transmitter - receiver set up that was used in combat aircraft only relatively early in the war but that continued to be employed in trainers, light transports and other second line aircraft right on through the war and afterwards. So it is entirely appropriate that an SCR-283 would be in what appears to be a BT-13 but why the coil set would be hanging in that location is something of a mystery.

Could be for an SCR-183 also. Only difference between the radios was input power requirements. Might have been a local mod to store an alternate set of coils there so that the student pilot could swap them as necessary prior to flight per briefing. I suspect the photo was taken at Avenger Field or Sweetwater.

Sure , yes, it could be for a 12V SCR-183 or a 24V SCR-283. I do not know if the BT-13 was made in both 12V and 24V versions, although some aircraft were, like the DC-3, B-17, B-25....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread