Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
WAVES Conduct Gunner Training in Hollywood Florida

Air to air gunnery simulator. She's one of the first TDs (Training Device techs) when the rate was established. During WWII, the rate was 90% female, as the guys were off fighting the war. The rest were combat wounded sailors not fit for sea duty. That pic was one of many on the wall at TD school when I was there in 1970. Unfortunately, our class of 15 had only one female, a Marine, valiantly upholding the honor of The Corps amidst a passel of squids. Smart as a whip and one tough cookie, she almost edged me out for class honors. I heard she became an LDO, retired as a Captain, and became an exec at Singer/Link.

This post has reminded me of an incident during my Kodak career. I serviced microfilm equipment in banks and at one account I was told the rumor was the department boss was an ex WAC sergeant. The various departments in banks are staffed by women, often with a department head also female. I had only a very few interactions with this particular bosslady who had seemed very matter of fact, business like, brief and to the point. On this particular day, there was no doubt of her military career. I was behind my machine with the covers raised, when she stormed out of her office and commanded, "Listen up! Shut everything down. I don't want to hear a sound." There had been some kind of a major screwup and while I hid behind my machine, she proceeded to give a chewing out to the employees that any drill sergeant would have been proud of.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread