Good affordable cameras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hey guys,

As mentioned in one of my builds, I am in need of a camera as my other one broke. I wanted to pick your brains about affordable options.

-10 to 16 MP (Megapixels)
-Between 80 and 120 dollars (Or cheaper :lol: )

Megapixels really aren't the differentiators. What matters the most is the quality of the glass that you use for the photos. You could have a gazillion megapixels and it wouldn't mean anything if you have a crappy piece of glass in front og it. Take a look at dpreview to see what has the best ratings. They also typically have some test shots. You can find about everything out there rated on that site:

Digital Photography Review

"Shutterbug" magazine usually has some good tech review issues. But yeah, gotta say Eric hit it on the head. You're not going to go wrong with a Canon or Nikon (they, as far as I know, have not gotten stingy on their optics, even on the lower models), but will pay a few extra bucks for the name. Kodak, if I'm not mistaken, still uses Zeiss optics in their point-n-shoot cameras (Carl Zeiss optics can be found in most high-quality sniper scopes, spotting scopes, telescopes, and binoculars, just to give you an idea how good they are). Olympus, Fuji, off-brands, and some low-end Sony cameras have been found to have cheap optics. As far as megapixels go, the larger the number, the bigger your files are going to be. Printing an 8x10 only needs like 8Mpix, and you'll still get razor sharp images if you have good optics and a steady hand/tripod. Anything larger than that is pretty much just wasted card space. As for price...sales these days are insane. You should easily be able to find something in the $100 ballpark.

For a simple, inexpensive, older camera....... I got a Pentax Optio 555 of the old slEbay for 30 bucks. Has a cracked glass on the little viewfinder, but it's never used since it has the big glass on the back. I have a big Canon, but I find this one so easy to use. I think it's Wayne who used it for his posting shots got me to looking for one. It's what I use for my posting shots. It's only 5MP and 5X zoom, but how much more do we need for our shots here. 2-1/2 x 4 x 1-1/4 inches in size!

Just a thought if you want something for here.

Bill

Printing an 8x10 only needs like 8Mpix

I don't think you even need it that big. I have a 16x20 hanging in my son's room that was taken on a 5 Megapixel camera, it was a Canon Powershots S50 and nobody can tell if it's film or not. granted, it was a pretty good shot, but you are right, the larger megapixel number, the more space you are going to eat up on your drive too. Zeiss lenses are great stuff and if you find a point and shoot with a Zeiss lens, you can pretty much be sure that the optics will be good.

Looking at Eric and Aarons, you will not go wrong listening to them. All I would add is, what will you use it for? I've got a cheap 8.2 mp Fuji Finepix. I take it when I go to work in the mine and on holidays. It flops around in my work-bag, half the lens cover doesn't close anymore and if it died tomorrow..oh well. It still takes good pictures and it takes pictures that look like I took them.

Geo

Thank you very much guys, I may buy a Nikon Coolpix for around 75 dollars on eBay. Normally, I'd want it from a store (new) but I didn't want to shell out the money and the guy accepts returns if it doesn't work.

Agreed, Nikon and Canon are great. When out wandering around taking photos at the Dallas Arboretum (botanical gardens), I see about an even mix of Nikon vs. Canon's being used by the pros out taking wedding/graduation photos. I'm a Canon guy myself, but will not argue with the quality of Nikons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back