Grafton Underwood, a little English village

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Feb 23, 2013
GRAFTON UNDERWOOD is a sleepy Northamptonshire village in the heart of England 70 miles north of London.

The skies are empty now..
View attachment 227834

But it was not always so..
View attachment 227830

View attachment 227831

Grafton crews-
View attachment 227832
View attachment 227833

Nowadays the airfield is disused and most of the runways have been planted with avenues of trees. (Grafton Underwood is the village halfway down the right-hand edge of the picture)-
View attachment 227835

Yellow lines trace the old runways. Blue arrow points to the roadside memorial
View attachment 227829

Last edited:
The memorial-
View attachment 227836

View attachment 227837

St.James church in Grafton Underwood dates from the 12th century, with a tower and spire added in the 13th and 14th centuries respectively-
View attachment 227838

The old stained glass windows of most English churches depict religious scenes or knights in armour etc, but this one in Grafton church is different..
View attachment 227840

View attachment 227839

The window from outside-
View attachment 227841

The church area-
View attachment 227842

Last edited:
Good stuff Spike. Been close to there many times, but never had the time to divert for a look at the place. BTW, might be an idea to post a credit for the painting, just in case of copyright problems.

....BTW, might be an idea to post a credit for the painting, just in case of copyright problems.

Thanks for the warning mate, i haven't a clue whether it's copyrighted or not, i've posted it in other forums over the years but nobody's ever complained before, so to put your mind at rest i've deleted it.
I've also deleted the other attachments in case they're copyrighted too..;)

Last edited:
No problem leaving the other images in place Spike, just that painting by a well-known artist, which only needs a credit.
I don't have a problem with it, but to protect yourself and the forum, a simple note along the lines of 'Painting by XXXX' should suffice.

Yeah can a mod delete this entire thread please, I can't find a delete button to do it myself.
Sorry guys but I just don't have the time to go checking up on every pic I post to see if it's copyrighted, but you can see the Grafton Underwood pics over at the Mission4Today forum-

Mission4Today › ForumsPro › R R Forums › Photo Galleries › WWII Aircraft Photo's › USA

As a matter of interest, i've posted literally thousands of photos and pics at various forums over the past 11 years, and in all that time nobody has ever said "hey you can't post that, I own the copyright!", and my reading of the situation is that copyright holders will only object if somebody has hijacked their work to make money from it, which I've never ever done.
Incidentally somebody hijacked a set of my own tactical wargaming tutorials without asking my permission and posted them in WIKI but I don't mind because he's not making money from them, otherwise I'd step in and demand my cut..:)

PS- there's really no need for me to clutter up this site with any more of my stuff anyway as it's already freely available in full un-shrunk size at the forums below -

WW2 AIRCRAFT PHOTOS- Mission4Today › ForumsPro › R R Forums › Photo Galleries › WWII Aircraft Photo's

VINTAGE 1920's/30's AIRCRAFT- Mission4Today › ForumsPro › R R Forums › Photo Galleries › Vintage 1920's/30's aircraft photos

WW1 AIRCRAFT- Mission4Today › ForumsPro › R R Forums › Photo Galleries › WW1 aircraft photos

WW2 AFV's- WW2 Photos

You don't really need to show copyright for every pic but we do ask that you can source the pic. I think you came here following a link I made from one of your threads on those other forums. Just something like that is fine. Or if you don't know, you can just post "source unknown". There is alot of BS on the web about copyright - who owns what and where and when. We believe if its on the net, for the most part there is no copyright, its in the public domain, i.e. the Net. But paintings and drawings as such are copyrighted, so posting a source will do.

I'm not going to delete the thread as I think its very informative and I hope you can post the pics again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back