Greatest Aircraft of World War Two. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is a real life plane comparison.
I am biased towards the lanc but having worked on the beast for longer than I care to remember:eek: she does grow on you.
I cannot think of any otehr plane that had the range and could carry the bombload that the lancaster could for its time.

lancasterman said:
This is a real life plane comparison.
I am biased towards the lanc but having worked on the beast for longer than I care to remember:eek: she does grow on you.
I cannot think of any otehr plane that had the range and could carry the bombload that the lancaster could for its time.

The B-29.......

Ouch.........
26177.jpg

361st_Xabre said:
Well if you fly IL2 with all its myriad of patches,and if the flight models are correct, and if you realize that there is a definite favoritism towards a certain Russian LA series of aircraft, and your pretty much an F.N.G. ,and all you can fly is a certain LA series of fighter,and you realize that all the allied aircraft such as the Jug, Pony, Lightning,F6F ,F4U series, and Corsair series, pretty much all the American fighters are so under modeled that all there really good for is Z. B.and getting blown out of the air with a certain series of LA Russian aircraft, and in all fairness a certain 25 pounder that seems to defy its parameters of the real fighter.
To be fair as far as I am concerned the IL2 series of flight Simms are without question the best in the virtual sky's bar none.
So to answer the original question "what is the best fighter of WWII" ....................wait for it.............the Mitsubishi A6MC model, Yes your all probably scratching you heads saying WTF ..is he on Crack? Actually no I'm not , if you take the basic design of this fighter its maneuverability ,its fire power its climb rate.etc ,from about 1939 to about 1942 it was the most deadly fighter in the sky in any theater of operation. Now having said this the A6M the Mits was a victim of the ideological beliefs,a feudal militarism,a none willingness to improve the fighter to keep up with ...lets say the American fighters
The Japanese designers never really improved the power plant to compete with the Grumman series of aircraft they never protected there pilots so as a consequence they lost there best.
To make along story short , it the Japanese would have kept up with there opponents, and put the time and effort into improving on the same scale as the Germans,British,Russians ,and Americans, the Marianas Turkey Shoot may have had a differant out come

X

Oh boy here we go another computer chair pilot!:rolleyes: Il-2 and no Simulator will tell you which aircraft is the greatest. Sorry bud!

FLYBOYJ said:
lancasterman said:
DOnt think it could carry the grandslam or tallboy
It didn't have to - it carried Little Boy and fatman instead...

:lol: Joe. I have read somewhere that the B-29 could carry 2 Grandslams but don't quote me on that, still Little Boy or Fatman would cause more damage, so the -29 didn't need to carry either as Joe said.

The B-29 is handsdown the greatest bomber of WW2. I dont care how much you love an aircraft. I love the B-17 but the B-29 has it hands down. I love the Lancaster but the B-29 has it hands down. The B-29 could carry a Tallboy if needed but as FBJ says why did it need to?

Good comeback there FBJ!

That was a great comeback, but mine would have been this (which isn't as a good)

B29withdualTallboyinstallationdetail2.jpg

Attachments

• Boeing Wichita B-29A with Grand Slam.jpg
    Boeing Wichita B-29A with Grand Slam.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 105
You have to look at this way. If the B-29 can carry jet and rocket powered aircraft under it, what can it not do when compared to other WW2 bombers?

Easy...

Nothing.

plan_D said:
That was a great comeback, but mine would have been this (which isn't as a good)

B29withdualTallboyinstallationdetail2.jpg

You have any more details on that? I wonder if it was being tested with the bombs in case it was going to be deployed the the ETO.

FLYBOYJ said:
Don't eve begin bringing in sims to make these types of comparisons - no PC sim will ever get you remotely close to the really flying, let alone determining aircraft performance.

The Zero was an over-rated propaganda machine, although deadly in the right hands it never achieved more than a 2 to 1 kill ratio over inferior Western aircraft and that was only for a very short period!!!

Secret weapons over normandy, I think, did a pretty good job. you can add mods to your planes and the second fighter you get is a Spitfire. You also get a german bomber and begin with a Hurricane.:|

SpitfireKing said:
Secret weapons over normandy, I think, did a pretty good job. you can add mods to your planes and the second fighter you get is a Spitfire. You also get a german bomber and begin with a Hurricane.:|
I fly planes - REAL PLANES and a few jets - the only thing you're getting out of any home flight sim is a quick seated thrill and a very loose insight of what it was like in the cockpit of a WW2 aircraft, and it is a "Very Loose Insight."

I have plenty of information on the testing syscom. There were three B-29s modified to carry the Tall Boy (M-109) or Grand Slam (M-110) bombs either in the bomb bay or on under-wing racks.

The M-109 testing finished with the final date as June 11th, 1945 and modified B-29s were ordered to be ready as soon as possible for use against precise targets in Japan. Reports show that these machines, with the bombs, would have been ready to bomb Japan by September, 1945.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back