Greatest Aircraft of World War Two. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But since the Mustang could fly to where the fighting was, that gives it a leg up on either the Spit or the -190

plan_D said:
1. C-47 'Skytrain' - It carried the war effort of so many countries in it's hold.
2. Spitfire - Was on the front from day one until the end, on every front.
3. Fw-190 - Held its own against any Allied fighter.
4. P-51 'Mustang' - Carried the bombing campaign on it's shoulders.
5. B-29 'Superfortress' - The 'Nuke' bomber, need I say more?

Yup I don't think I would change that list.

While the Spitfire was keeping the British isles safe, the P51 was flying to the far reaches of the Reich, chasing down the -190.

And as has been proven by many people arguing over thir favorite birds, none of them were magnitudes better than the others. They all had similar charchteristics. The one excpetion being range. Thats where the Mustang excelled.

Range has a quality all of its own.

Id look at the greatest planes of the Pacific war.
1: C47 (to an even bigger degree than in Europe, the C47 was vital)
2: P38
3: F4U
4: B25
5: F6F

I dont give a **** about range right now syscom because once the Fw-190 and the P-51D were in combat over the Reich range was no longer a factor. The Fw-190 would have more fuel than the P-51 at that point anyhow.

The Fw-190 was overall a better fighter than the P-51, so basically its just your opinion and I disagree with your opinion. Live with your opinion and let others live with theres.

One on one the P-51 was not better than the Fw-190.

the lancaster kicks *** said:
with regards to the no.5 plane couldn't it be argued that it was the weapon not the means of deliverly that was great?
I don't think so. The B-29 was the most advanced bomber of the time on the allied side. Pressurized cockpit, remote gun sites that were computerized, the radios, navigational aids and sighting systems were all well beyond anything else and it could carry a tremendous load for a long distance.

The 2 that dropped the atomic bombs were 2 of 15 special variants, "Silverplate" specifically made for the drops.

syscom3 said:
With the piloting being equal, the P51 would rack even with the -190.

Range is everything.

If you cant fly to the party, you aint going to dance.

We are not talking about going to you so called dance, we are talking about dancing.

In "dancing" there were many aircraft superior to the P-51D including the Spitfire and Fw-190D-9.

lesofprimus said:
With or without equal pilots, the P-51D was no equal to the Fw 190D-9 in single combat...

I cant believe anyone with an informed opinion would even think otherwise, but then again, we are talking about syscom here...

P51's shot down -190's all the time. And vice versa.

If the -190 was superior to the P51, then you would see lots of P51 losses and not as many -190 losses.

They were matched fairly evenly

syscom3 said:
P51's shot down -190's all the time. And vice versa.

If the -190 was superior to the P51, then you would see lots of P51 losses and not as many -190 losses.

They were matched fairly evenly
Statistically they might of been evenly matched and a lot of that has to do with pilot skill and numbers (The USAAF was totally outnumbering the Luftwaffe). If you look at both aircraft from their technical characteristics the FW-190D was a superior aircraft.

You might be right. I was thinking more of the "A" models vs the P51.

I was looking at some of the 8th AF mission stats for middle 1944 and didnt see any lopsided losses incurred by the P51 groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back