Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The B24 had a lower ceiling it was usually flown about 25,000ft on a bombing mission, the B17 usually about 28,000ft
You are correct. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Point taken the Davis wing good for speed and not lift, having read more.

The B17 was much easier to fly, too, but the B24 did more of the Pacific bombing and work against U boats.

The P-47 was called the "Jug" by it's pilots because it looked like a milk jug.
To understand what they meant by milk jug, you have to go back to the 30's and 40's, when milk was transported in fat metal cylinders and transferred to glass bottles. The P-47 looked like a big, fat metal cylinder.

So while some might think it was short for "Juggernaught", it wasn't.

And that's what I thought. Unlike some of the youngsters here I do remember milk jugs.

Okay pbehn, I ain't buying that. Fool me once....
A milk churn was originally used to make butter from milk, when they started transporting milk by rail it was found that the "churn" was more stable than the "pail". So they started using churns to transport milk and the name stuck. They were common around the countryside when I was young, and we called them churns. Note I didn't use "FACT" so it is in fact, a fact. Milk churn - Wikipedia

...actually,
1) Rolls-Royce didn't use machined screws and bolts; each was individually carved by a skilled craftsman. It was usually assigned as punishment duty, hence getting a "screw job."
2) Packard, because of union rules, couldn't assign workers to this punishment, so they had to use standard fasteners. The engineers at Rolls, finding this out, were astounded and redesigned the engine to use fasteners bought from a catalogue.
3) Because of different drawing standards, Packard's engine were actually running backward. Luckily, they weren't also flipped upside down, which would have made them German.
4) Airplanes don't drive, they taxi.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread