Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A milk churn was originally used to make butter from milk, when they started transporting milk by rail it was found that the "churn" was more stable than the "pail". So they started using churns to transport milk and the name stuck.
In the small farming community where I grew up (before bulk tanks), the farmers shipped their milk in cans, or "churns", if you will, that looked like this:
Late 30's era 10 gallon milk jug.

View attachment 594028
When the collection truck had visited all of the eight dairy farms, it headed off with its load of butterfat rich Jersey milk over the twelve miles of rutted, potholed, boulder-strewn dirt road to the creamery. On arrival the milk inside might as well have been in a churn, unless the farmer had filled each can right to the tippy-top to prevent sloshing. There was no percentage in shipping partial cans, so the overage was sold to non-farming neighbors like us, and we made our own butter with an ancient, bulletproof Sunbeam electric mixer. When the cows hit pasture in the springtime after being penned up all winter, the butter changed from a bland tasting beige to a robust, mouth watering, brilliant yellow.
Cheers,
Wes

In the small farming community where I grew up (before bulk tanks), the farmers shipped their milk in cans, or "churns", if you will, that looked like this:

When the collection truck had visited all of the eight dairy farms, it headed off with its load of butterfat rich Jersey milk over the twelve miles of rutted, potholed, boulder-strewn dirt road to the creamery. On arrival the milk inside might as well have been in a churn, unless the farmer had filled each can right to the tippy-top to prevent sloshing. There was no percentage in shipping partial cans, so the overage was sold to non-farming neighbors like us, and we made our own butter with an ancient, bulletproof Sunbeam electric mixer. When the cows hit pasture in the springtime after being penned up all winter, the butter changed from a bland tasting beige to a robust, mouth watering, brilliant yellow.
Cheers,
Wes
Churns used when I was a kid were very tall and narrow like gas cylinders, I presume to actually stop the milk churning inside, as you describe.

...actually,
4) Airplanes don't drive, they taxi.

Don't be too sure about that. :)

airplane_in_traffic_t.jpg

Nowdays, they don't taxi as much. It's cheaper to Uber, at least until they get enough Lyft.

-Irish

Have you ever stepped into in the middle of a conversation and feel like you've missed a lot?

Thread Title: "Greatest aviation myth this site "de-bunked"
What I learned: How to make butter

God, I love this site! :evil4:
You also learned how not to make butter, after that building an airplane is a matter of slotting an ironing board though a milk jug and putting a fan somewhere.

How not to make butter: Don't put Jersey milk in a bulk tanker truck. Vermont used to be Jersey country, but now it's all black-and-whites, except for organic raw milk dairies which don't ship their milk. Besides, since cholesterol became the boogyman, the butterfat premium has been eliminated from milk checks.

I saw a cartoon from WW2 in which a starving Japanese soldier is surrendering. He asks the G.I.s to PLEASE NOT to be fed honorable American delicacy Spam. The cartoon itself might be inappropriate now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back