Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Look for the video of the Battle of the Bismark Sea. Lots of Japanese being machine gunned by various RAAF and USAAF aircraft. When the Japanese or Germans or Italians did that it was a war crime but history is always written by the victors who always develop amnesia.
Unfortunately, when one side starts doing it, the other side will most often respond in kind.
The Imperial Japanese did not have the best track record for assisting shipwrecked people from the very start of the war.
Many examples of direct orders from high command to "totally eliminate" enemy assets: ship, cargo and crew can be found.
The IJN's I-37, was the leader in carrying out their orders and among their unfortunate tally, was the Australian Hospital ship Centaur.

The incident of strafing survivors at Bismark Sea was done by both sides, like the Japanese who, during the early days of the battle (3 March), strafed 7 survivors of a damaged USAAF B-17 (piloted by Lt. Moore) who were in the silk.

So in the end, no one was guilt-free.

A friend who was on the Enterprise told of, after an air attack, a destroyer put out a boat to pick up a downed Japanese flyer who then shot a sailor at close range. There were no more rescue attempts.

There are many accounts of Japanese soldiers feigning surrender only to throw grenades at U.S. troops or otherwise attack them.

Unfortunately, when one side starts doing it, the other side will most often respond in kind.
The Imperial Japanese did not have the best track record for assisting shipwrecked people from the very start of the war..

The IJN executed three U.S. aviators it had captured during the Battle of Midway (although this did not come to light until after the war). There was also the Japanese treatment of Allied prisoners of war. While many are familiar with Dr. Mengele, fewer are aware of Unit 731.

Imperial Japan was frequently brutal, even to its own personnel.

My Kid's Great Grandmother AND Grandfather were POWs Here's his book.

Surviving the Day

1616790935326.png

The Japanese used a lot of slave labor to build the railway into Burma (Bridge on the River Kwai ring any bells?) Most of those were British POWS from the debacle at Singapore, but there were also Thais rounded up when they ran short of Commonwealth POWS to work to death. The Japanese were about as brutal as it gets in the wartime years. I think the bridge was finally dropped by B24s, not commandos, but either way...............

I often see something to the effect of; '... the tipping of V1 flying bombs was done without actually contacting the V1's wing, but by using the airflow / turbulence of the fighter's wing ...'

However, every time I read an anecdote from a pilot that tipped over a V1 -- they make it very clear contact was made.

I'm nowhere near ready to get into myth busted! territory ... but my suspicions are raised. Anyone have any actual anecdotes of the 'airflow upsetting' method?

The Japanese used a lot of slave labor to build the railway into Burma (Bridge on the River Kwai ring any bells?) Most of those were British POWS from the debacle at Singapore, but there were also Thais rounded up when they ran short of Commonwealth POWS to work to death. The Japanese were about as brutal as it gets in the wartime years. I think the bridge was finally dropped by B24s, not commandos, but either way...............
Nope. Bridge still there. More concrete and steel than bamboo, unlike the movie.

There are many accounts of Japanese soldiers feigning surrender only to throw grenades at U.S. troops or otherwise attack them.

The IJN executed three U.S. aviators it had captured during the Battle of Midway (although this did not come to light until after the war). There was also the Japanese treatment of Allied prisoners of war. While many are familiar with Dr. Mengele, fewer are aware of Unit 731.

Imperial Japan was frequently brutal, even to its own personnel.
My father was in the Royal Navy for 3 years in WW2 1942-45, he didn't return to UK until 1948. His three years in peacetime in Singapore and elsewhere in the far east affected him much more than his three years of war.

Nope. Bridge still there. More concrete and steel than bamboo, unlike the movie.

The original bridge was a wooden trestle, finished in Feb 43. replaced or supplimented by a steel-concrete bridge in Jun. 43.
The Japanese was in a hurry to get the Thai- Burma Railway into use, there were over 600 bridges on the line, most were wooden trestles.
I think the bridge on the river Kwai was the longest.
Both bridges were damaged several times, but rebuilt, until finally put out of commission in early 45.

The bridges was repaired postwar by Thailand, and the Thai portion of the railway put back into service.
The Burma portion of the Thai- Burma Railway was took out of service and the rails used elsewhere.

The narrator of Secrets of the Dead is great. I love hearing him emphasize the "h" in why, what, when, etc.

Technically, WP was a chemical weapon.
Not in the WWII sense.

Both the Axis and Allies had huge stockpiles of chemical/nerve agents, ready to use at the first twitch - which fortunately never happened.
The closest it came, was when the Luftwaffe attacked the port of Bari in '43, inadvertently hitting one such stockpile stowed aboard the SS John Harvey, releasing mustard gas into the water and air.

Last edited:
Okay, not strictly an aviation myth but I recently read that the HIJMS Mogami had the most successful torpedo attack in history sinking five ships with one spread. Unfortunately for Mogami, those ships were on her side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back