Greatest Modern Bomber

The Greatest Modern Bomber

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

102first_hussars

Tech Sergeant
Oct 3, 2005
Edmonton,Alberta
It would make more sense for me to say the B2 Stealth or the B-1B Lancer, however I have always had a great appreciation for the B-52 Stratofortress, so whats your opinion?

Nimrod? I hope, for your sake, you're not refering to the RAF Nimrod? Which was never a bomber, it wasn't even designed off a bomber. It was an AWACS aircraft designed off the De Havilland Comet airliner.

nimrodmr2-3.jpg

And while I know the Nimrod fleet is under consideration for conversion to long-range bomber configuration, the drawings haven't even been started. The plane is not even nearly a bomber yet.

And the B-1B Lancer is the best, in my opinion.

The Nimrod is an Anti Sub aircraft with 2 or 3 used as electronic intelligence gathering. The AWAX version was cancelled many years ago.

If I had to choose it would be the Canberra. Probably used by more countries than any other jet bomber and possibly an other bomber period in history. Certainly isn't the biggest or fastest by a long shot but it did its job for many years and did it well.

I know it was scrapped, my dad had to keep one running at RAF Finningley for a long time to train people on the electronics. I think that was one of the last ones in 'service' (it wasn't certified to fly). The E-3s were/are much better aircraft, plus the British variants are the best.

Although, the idea of converting them into bombers is interesting. They'd have been better off keeping Vulcans and just improving them.

And we can't deny the role of the Canberra, no way. Good choice. :thumbright:

For me it is either the B-1 or the B-2. I would also give honourable mentions to the Canberra and the B-52 though.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
well the nimrod's the closest bloody thing we have to a heavy bomber so don't rule it out, i thought the Tu-160'd be in the list though?

That it maybe but it isn't so why is it on the list. So did I.

B52. Can carry lots and lots of bombs. Its huge airframe makes it adaptable for anything that might want to be added or updated.

Being able to carry a lot of PGM's has given it a new lease on life.

B-52 all the way!!! Although the B-1 and B-2 have been successfully deployed, they have very big shoes to fill when looking at the longevity, combat record, and bombs dropped by the B-52. Additionally for what the cost of the B-52 was, it has certainly given its money's worth....

Just a side note - B-1 pilots consider the B-2 a "Fag Bomber." :evil4:

If I had to pick one from the list it would be the B52. As FJ said m the USA definately got their moneys worth out of that aircraft.

Question for someone who may know the detail.
Recently NASA retired its original B52 that was an A version. I read an interesting article on this machine as NASA kept it as original as possible as a deliberate point of pride. In the example of this they mentioned in the start up sequence they still used the egg timer as per the original planes.
Can anyone tell me why you would want to use an egg timer in the start up process on a B52?

Glider said:
If I had to pick one from the list it would be the B52. As FJ said m the USA definately got their moneys worth out of that aircraft.

Question for someone who may know the detail.
Recently NASA retired its original B52 that was an A version. I read an interesting article on this machine as NASA kept it as original as possible as a deliberate point of pride. In the example of this they mentioned in the start up sequence they still used the egg timer as per the original planes.
Can anyone tell me why you would want to use an egg timer in the start up process on a B52?

I'll ask my father in law, he has several thousand hours in B-52s

syscom3 said:
FLYBOYJ said:
syscom3 said:
Why a "fag" bomber?

Because it flies high and relatively slow - the B-1B drivers are into that fast low level "Shock and awe," more testosterone I guess?!?

I wonder what CC's reaction will be regarding a "fag" bomber

:lol:
I wonder if its called a fag bomber in the same way the A6 Prowler is called the queer because as a A6 Intruder jock told me it was unatural for 4 men to sit so close the B2 guys are pretty close to each other maybe

pbfoot said:
syscom3 said:
FLYBOYJ said:
syscom3 said:
Why a "fag" bomber?

Because it flies high and relatively slow - the B-1B drivers are into that fast low level "Shock and awe," more testosterone I guess?!?

I wonder what CC's reaction will be regarding a "fag" bomber

:lol:
I wonder if its called a fag bomber in the same way the A6 Prowler is called the queer because as a A6 Intruder jock told me it was unatural for 4 men to sit so close the B2 guys are pretty close to each other maybe

Maybe?!? But then again 4 men sit close together in the B-1, the only difference is they're going 800 knots on the deck!

cheddar cheese said:
As much as I love the B-1...has to be be B-52.

Agree! When I'm around my father in law, we'll talk a lot about the B-52 and B-1. We don't mention "that other bomber" too much! (Even though I worked on it for 7 months)

By the way my father in law still holds 7 world speed records with the B-1 by himself...

CHECK OUT THE PAYLOADS AND SPEEDS!

Sub-class : C-1q (Landplanes: take off weight 150 000 to 200 000 kg)
Group 3 : turbo-jet
Speed over a closed circuit of 2 000 km with 10 000 kg payload : 1 078.20 km/h
Date of flight: 04/07/1987
Pilot: Robert CHAMBERLAIN (USA)
Course/place: Palmdale, CA (USA)
Aircraft:
Rockwell B-1B (4 General Electric F101-GE-102, 14 000 kg each)
Registered 'N/S 58'
Database ID 3840

Speed over a closed circuit of 2 000 km with 15 000 kg payload : 1 078.20 km/h
Aircraft:
Registered 'N/S 58'
Database ID 3841

Speed over a closed circuit of 2 000 km with 20 000 kg payload : 1 078.20 km/h
Aircraft:
Registered 'N/S 58'
Database ID 3842

Speed over a closed circuit of 2 000 km with 25 000 kg payload : 1 078.20 km/h
Aircraft:
Registered 'N/S 58'
Database ID 3843

Speed over a closed circuit of 2 000 km with 30 000 kg payload : 1 078.20 km/h
Aircraft:
Registered 'S/N 58'

Class C (Aeroplanes)
Sub-class C-1q (Landplanes: take off weight 150 000 to 200 000 kg)
Speed over a closed circuit of 1 000 km with 30 000 kg payload : 1 089.36 km/h

Aircraft: Rockwell B-1B (4 General Electric F101-GE-102, 14 000 kg each)
Registered 'S/N 58'

Class C (Aeroplanes)
Sub-class C-1q (Landplanes: take off weight 150 000 to 200 000 kg)
Speed over a closed circuit of 2 000 km with 5 000 kg payload : 1 078.20 km/h

Aircraft: Rockwell B-1B (4 General Electric F101-GE-102, 14 000 kg each)
Registered 'N/S 58'

He is posted on 18 more as "co-pilot."

http://records.fai.org/pilot.asp?from=ga&id=2119

http://records.fai.org/pilot.asp?from=ga&id=2230

If you go to these sites you could see many of his records that were broken.

I still say if I won the Lotto, I'm taking him to Russia where we'll rent a Blackjack for a week and take back all his old records! :rolleyes:

I leave for vacation and find that we are now discussing modern aircraft! The horror, the mayhem, the...the...the...what da 'ell, the Strato Fortress kicks ass. To me its the most adaptable bomber that the USAF has ever had in thier inventory.

:{)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back