Greatest Modern Bomber

The Greatest Modern Bomber

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese said:
Very impressive Joe! Good info there 8)

Thanks CC! They did this over 4th of July weekend - He has the certificates hanging in his home office along with awards signed by Ronald Regan.

I guess originally they set something like 85 world speed and altitude records with the B-1.

Well even though I think the B-1 is the best bomber out there at the moment and I love the plane I have to go with the good old B-52. Hell Yeah the "BUFF"! I mean come on she could carry a massive amount of payload and she was one of the cold war deterants. She so damn good she is still in use today. Maybe not dropping iron bombs as much anymore like she used to but shes still kicking ass!

Nonskimmer said:
She's like that old truck in the driveway that you just don't want to get rid of. ;)
Old, but trusty.

Yep!

b52strato.jpg

There was a story out of the 1st Gulf War where a pilot flying a BUFF out of Diego Garcia found out it was the same '52 his father had flown in the '70s.

:{)

There is also something symbolic of the BUFF, representing all that there was about the cold war. It was even used satirically in Dr. Strangelove.

:{)

What about the Vulcan and Victor? Excellent performance and payload in two of the best looking aircraft of the modern era.

The Canberra/B-57 deserves a mention as does its Soviet counterpart, the Il-28.

The Tu-22M, even though its generally thought of as more of a strike aircraft than a bomber, also deserves special mention. In fact, it probably gets my vote as the best bomber, if only because it rivals the Vulcan in the looks department.

I think the Vulcan and the Victor are good choices to put into a list, but the B-52 has one thing over them that the others do not. Longevitiy. Other than that though the other 2 were great bombers as well as teh Canberra/B-57.

The B52 has been proven in three wars. Just its performace over Vietnam in the Christmas offensive in 1972 proves it was the best. For adaptability, its big strong airframe gives it a leg up on the Vulcan. There isnt any weapon (except for those big FAE bombs) that the B52 cant carry.

Yep - for what the B-52 accomplished and continues to accomplish, she has got to be the greatest modern day bomber....

I'd throw the Vulcan and Canberra in there too - both served very well...

If the Vulcan had been updated as the B52 was I think it would have been a contender but at the end of the day it wasn't so it remains a what if. and the B52 has my vote.
It certainly had the performance, handling and payload but was never given a proper update.

I have been in a Vulcan in the UK and was shocked at how old the general instrumentation was and its general layout. I remember telling my wife that it was if someone had taken the cockpit of a Lancaster deleted the excellent visibility and stuck it in a more modern airframe.

Where the hell is Tu-160? It's faster than B-1B, heavier (payload about the same), has more range,...
It has the speed of Tu-22M Backfire and size of Tu-95 Bear, wingspan over 50 meters spread!
Plus, there are about 50 of them made, compared to 21 B-2s or 106 B-1Bs.

Doh! I meant to post a pic. Here it is:

Attachments

• tu160_12_552.jpg
    tu160_12_552.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 322

Users who are viewing this thread

Back