Greatest Modern Bomber

The Greatest Modern Bomber

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seems the B1B cost was about $383 million, so I'll take 10 Tornados and stuff the mission - I mean the bad guys only have to be lucky once to shoot down the B1B but it's unlikely they'll get lucky ten times :D

You need ten Tornados to actually hit the target, unless you plan on sending Bucaneers with them to pin-point the target just like the RAF did in the Gulf. At least when buying a B-1, you're 90% sure it's going to come out of the factory working.

Why buy a Tornado, or ten, when you can buy F-15s for a cheaper price and they're better...

You also forget the B1B is also a nuke penetrator bomber.

If I was going to attack a heavily defended target, deep in Russian territory in a nuke war, I will take the B1 over the tornado anytime.

syscom3 said:

If I was going to attack a heavily defended target, deep in Russian territory in a nuke war, I will take the B1 over the tornado anytime.
Agree - it also has double the countermeasures

syscom3 said:

Agree - it also has double the countermeasures

syscom3 said:

Indeed, you certainly would want to use a B-1 in that situation but I do not believe the B-1 has a nuclear mission any more. You really, really would want to take a B-2.

And the oft quoted $380M price tag, like that quoted for the B-2, includes ground infrastructure, spares, maintenance, etc. It is used as a means of unfairly comparing fly away costs of a single airplane vs that including recurring costs over the lifetime of the airframe. As once said by a famous American writer, "Lies. Damn lies. And statistics."

And while not the "best", certainly one of my all time favorites the B-58 Hustler.

Attachments

• B58Hustler.jpg
    B58Hustler.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 110
but I do not believe the B-1 has a nuclear mission any more.

Excuse me while I roll over and die from laughing so bleeding hard.

It is just like sex.

You have to penetrate to dominate.

Thus the mission is still there.

Excuse me while I roll over and die from laughing so bleeding hard.

It is just like sex.

You have to penetrate to dominate.

Thus the mission is still there.
I believe you might find he is correct just to put a little CO2 on your fire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back