Greetings from the Far East of Canada

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Artesian

Recruit
Dec 27, 2011
I found this site while researching details for a manuscript I'm working on, looking for details about the Luftwaffe's HDL-151 turret. The site is an incredible repository of facts, discourse and talent. It's a privilege to be a member. As for me, the first book I bought from my own money when I was nine years old in 1975 was "Aces High" which I read and reread, even tracing the illustrations from the appendix and coloring them in! Military aviation been a lifelong source of enjoyment since then, primarily for my own knowledge. My hometown is just up the coast from Botwood, Newfoundland, an early seaplane base, where Sidney Cotton based a flying operation in 1920. PBYs operated there during the war. Now I live further east in Newfoundland, in the town where the first transatlantic telephone cable was brought ashore in the 50s. I'm chair bound with MS and sites like this are a godsend to people like me who can't easily get out to libraries or university campuses.
Cheers and thanks,
Barry Moores

Welcome from out west Barry! I think there's another chap from The Rock on this forum somewhere. I worked at Bull Arm in 92 and have visited the Avalon on vacation in 06. Love the place.

Thanks for the kind welcome all, and for pbfoot, Botwood is closer to Gander, roughly an hour's drive.
Cheers,
Barry

Thanks for the kind welcome all, and for pbfoot, Botwood is closer to Gander, roughly an hour's drive.
Cheers,
Barry
I guess you have more aviation history around you then most, never got to Gander was in the Goose for a few years, IIRC 438miles away the closest alternate

Welcome from bl**dy miles away !. Don't be a two post wonder mate, get stuck in, you absolutely wont regret it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back