Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Searching for that missing 7/16" six point socket!
I remember a guy I worked with lost his torch, one of those Led Lenser metal ones one night, and it wasn't until later that he realised that he'd left it in the rear fuselage of one of the aircraft we were working on. He decided not to tell anyone (naughty, naughty) and two weeks later when the aircraft came back to the hangar for maintenance, he went into the back and it was still sitting there, where he'd left it! Undisturbed and unnoticed! He told me after he left the company!

The company began hammering tool control after a spanner was found left in a fuel tank after a heavy maintenance visit! We on Line used to complain about the defects we'd find after heavy checks because for a period a few years ago there was always something, tape over AC ducts, rags left in engine bays, fasteners not done up properly, all sorts of issues...

I remember a guy I worked with lost his torch, one of those Led Lenser metal ones one night, and it wasn't until later that he realised that he'd left it in the rear fuselage of one of the aircraft we were working on. He decided not to tell anyone (naughty, naughty) and two weeks later when the aircraft came back to the hangar for maintenance, he went into the back and it was still sitting there, where he'd left it! Undisturbed and unnoticed! He told me after he left the company!

The company began hammering tool control after a spanner was found left in a fuel tank after a heavy maintenance visit! We on Line used to complain about the defects we'd find after heavy checks because for a period a few years ago there was always something, tape over AC ducts, rags left in engine bays, fasteners not done up properly, all sorts of issues...
Our boss left a torch in the wheel well of an aircraft. about two weeks after the same thing had caused a wheels-up on a 1900...

I've left an inspection mirror on the top of an engine before.

We also had a customer come in because he had dents in the underside of his wing - but they were from the inside. Banging on the bottom of the wing revealed an 'echo' of a riveting dolly left inside... Luckily we hadn't done the repair on the wing.

Last edited:
Our boss left a torch in the wheel well of an aircraft. about two weeks after the same thing had caused a wheels-up on a 1900...

I've left an inspection mirror on the top of an engine before.

We also had a customer come in because he had dents in the underside of his wing - but they were from the inside. Banging on the bottom of the wing revealed an 'echo' of a riveting dolly left inside... Luckily we hadn't done the repair on the wing.

Dollies in fuel tanks, and other nooks and crannies is soooo common! I've read of so many instances of this in accident reports and other case studies.

Dollies in fuel tanks, and other nooks and crannies is soooo common! I've read of so many instances of this in accident reports and other case studies.
That's why part of the preflight in the Nanchang is to bang on the bottom of the rear fuselage. There isn't anything stopping dropped items from migrating their way to the rear fuse.

No, but an airliner is designed to prevent most things that are dropped from falling through to control runs.

Subject to design limitations, of course. It happens all the time in airliners that things get left below floors. The Dash has neat chin panels for access under the flight deck and the space can be accessed from the inside by removing the library beneath a hatch in the flight deck floor, the ATR doesn't so with every heavy check the floors have to be lifted, which is a pain because of the way ATR has designed its floor panels.

Maybe they are trying to turn it into an Ed "Big Daddy" Roth style hot rod.
Perhaps, but you can be sure that if Chuck Barris were in charge, the cockpit roof would be lowered about six inches and the plane would be about two inches off the ground with just a bit of whitewall showing from the wheelwell :p

Perhaps, but you can be sure that if Chuck Barris were in charge, the cockpit roof would be lowered about six inches and the plane would be about two inches off the ground with just a bit of whitewall showing from the wheelwell :p
The host of the Gong Show? I'd love to see him design a plane.

Last edited:
Gudkov_gu_1_01.jpg

While looking at more info about the notorious flop that was the Lagg-3 (the early series makes the P-39D look like a P-51D), i looked up and found this, with almost no mention other than the designer Gurdkov falling in disgrace after the test pilot got killed testing this thing:
A P-39 clone o_O!
I wonder what you guys think about the soviets wanting to clone the P-39 of all things.
Would this clone include propeller gear armor? :evil4:

View attachment 642326

While looking at more info about the notorious flop that was the Lagg-3 (the early series makes the P-39D look like a P-51D), i looked up and found this, with almost no mention other than the designer Gurdkov falling in disgrace after the test pilot got killed testing this thing:
A P-39 clone o_O!
I wonder what you guys think about the soviets wanting to clone the P-39 of all things.
Would this clone include propeller gear armor? :evil4:
The Soviets loved the P-39 for some reason.
This led to three proposals to copy the P-39 - Sukhoi, Gudkov and Belyayev.
Sukhoi's was a paper project and went nowhere.
Gudkov's Gu-1 project (as noted) ended in disaster (never read what happened, but what are the odds it suffered a flat spin, killing Aleksy Nikashin?) and his Gu-2 project never left the drawing board.
And Belyayev's OI-2 "twin Cobra" project never left the drawing board, either.

Looks like it maybe had less of a CG problem. Look where the cockpit has been located. And, it has a 4-bladed prop.

Both bode well for improved CG range conducive to controlled flight after the ammunition ballast has been jettisoned.

Seems like this was the Gudkov Gu-1. They made one and it crashed on its first flight. No further details except weights. Without wing area, weight, engine power, and airfoil, it's hard to say anything about this airplane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back