Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In the US, for a great many years land was measured with a chain of exact length which laid on the ground, but since the use of transits and optical measuring, the property lines of old established land are being moved. Differing measuring systems have always caused difficulty. Rifles of US and UK manufacture have the rear sites marked in yards, while European rifles were in meters, and Russian rifles were in Arshins.
Until the middle third of the 20th Century, British inches and US inches were different.

Hmmmm.... So a Hundred Weight doesn't really have a "hundred" of ANYTHING.....

Makes perfect sense!
I do wish people would pay attention, a hundred weight has 112 pounds that's why its called a hundredweight.

Am I ever glad I went to England after the farthings and shillings had been dispensed with, crazy British money!!!!!
Well there were 12 pennies in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound, life must be hell for those who find it complicated. how do they tell the time with 60 seconds in a minute 60 minutes in an hour and 24 hours in a day? And lets not even consider the 360 degrees in a circle.

If your money is decimal when everything else is imperial your heart is obviously not in it. When we used imperial units everything was imperial including the money.
For me they all changed over at about the same time late sixties early seventies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back