Had a gig last night

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
After a pause of a year we started playing again. Although having a bad cold, I had great fun and just wanted to share this one with you. Usually I use a blue Les Paul, but here one of the rare occasions I play on my Telecaster. I should use that guitar more often. I think it looks cool. Unfortunately YouTube compresses the sound. Sounded better in reality.

Not exactly my kind of music but at least I could understand just about all the words and you guys weren't at 130dB pounding the same bass-line over and over. Many, many moons ago I played a 12-string acoustic but that was in the folk-music era and my electric guitar preference is more along the lines of Duane Eddy, Santo & Johnny, etc.
But yea you guys are Kool

Not exactly my kind of music but at least I could understand just about all the words and you guys weren't at 130dB pounding the same bass-line over and over. Many, many moons ago I played a 12-string acoustic but that was in the folk-music era and my electric guitar preference is more along the lines of Duane Eddy, Santo & Johnny, etc.
But yea you guys are Kool
I like that music as well Mike :)

Our bass player influences our repertoire quote a bit, so I don't think we will end up in boring bass-lines.

Cool...
From my side, never ever been able to even tuning a guitar... :(
It's easy, just turn the knobs :)

never ever been able to even tuning a guitar.

Yup, tune the first (thickest) string using a vibrating reed tuner then work the frets. Hold down the tuned first (E) string 5 frets down from the top bridge and pluck the 1st and second strings one after the other. Listen for the beats (warbling sound). Tighten or loosen the second string until the beats vanish. You now have E and A strings tuned. Now play the A string at the 5th fret to find the correct tone for the D string, the D string at the 5th fret to find the G string, but when you're ready to tune your B string, you'll play the G string at the 4th fret instead of the 5th. The last string, the thinnest and lightest string you are back to playing an E-note just one octave above the first E-string. To tune the last high E string, you'll move back to the 5th fret where you'll play the B string to find your high E tone.
You'll want to go back and start all over to check the tunning as the pressure of the tightened strings might bow the neck loosening the strings. Now play some chords or a song or two and recheck the tunning. playing the strings can streatch them and/or bow the neck. In addition new strings will streatch a lot so they'll need to be tunned several times
Easy peasy

Last edited:
Sounds nice! One of these days maybe I'll post one of our songs.
I just have to figure out how to do it.:-k

Last edited:
never ever been able to even tuning a guitar.

Yup, tune the first (thickest) string using a vibrating reed tuner then work the frets. Hold down the tuned first (E) string 5 frets down from the top bridge and pluck the 1st and second strings one after the other. Listen for the beats (warbling sound). Tighten or loosen the second string until the beat vanish. You now have E and A strings tuned. Now play the A string at the 5th fret to find the correct tone for the D string, the D string at the 5th fret to find the G string, but when you're ready to tune your B string, you'll play the G string at the 4th fret instead of the 5th. The last string, the thinnest and lightest string you are back to playing an E-note just one octave above the first E-string. To tune the last high E string, you'll move back to the 5th fret where you'll play the B string to find your high E tone.
You'll want to go back and start all over to check the tunning as the pressure of the tightened strings might bow the neck loosening the strings. Now play some chords or a song or two and recheck the tunning. playing the strings can streatch them and/or bow the neck. In addition new strings will streatch a lot so they'll need to be tunned several times
Easy peasy

Quite easy!

But just on paper... or on screen...

But just on paper... or on screen...

Believe me a 6-string is a snap to tune. You just need something to get that first (string 6) E-string in tune (N.B. the strings are actually numbered from the bottom up when held for a right-handed player – strumming with the right chording with the left). Nowadays there are electronic tuners that attach to the neck and tell you exactly what note you are playing.

Now if you want a real PIA to tune try a 12-string – 2 pairs of 6 strings. Numbering them 1-12 from the bottom up, the odd numbered strings are the same as a standard tuned 6-string i.e. E-A-D-G-B-E and you can tune them exactly as you would a 6-string. Now the even-numbered strings are both the same and different. Strings 2 and 4 (bottom up remember) are tuned identical to the odd 1 and 3 in other words E-E and B-B. play them together and listen for the beats. Now the other 4 strings 6-8-10-12. They are not the same. They are tuned one octave above their odd-numbered counterparts. Thus string 6: high G is tuned to the 3rd fret on the 1st or 2nd string. String 8: high D is tuned to the 3rd fret on the 3rd or 4th string. String 10: high A is tuned to the 2nd fret on the 3rd string and String 12: high E is tuned to the 2nd fret of the 4th string.

The general rule is if the strings are the same thickness (1-2-3-4) tune alike. If different thickness (5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12) tune one octave apart.

See how easy it is - but the real fun is that with 12 strings pulling on the neck and bridge the neck invariably bows and the bridge bulges so you will now have to do it all over again several times and again after you play it for a while. To add to the fun-factor the 6th string: high G is under a tremendous amount of tension and has a tendency to break, usually right after you finally get the dram thing in tune so you get to do it all over again with a new string.

When we start touring the US I'll give you a call :lol:
BTW, I played in the US twice. Both times with our moderator Njaco (Chris), a couple of year ago in the great city of Pittman NJ. Had great fun. I guess there is a recording of that somewhere on the forum as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back