Hand prop accident FAA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny

Attachments

• FAA _Training_ Film.wmv
    14 MB · Views: 127
Saw that clip many years ago. Hand propping is dangerous but can be successfully done if you know what you're doing. This guy should have briefed his passenger on using the brakes and shutting down the engine if an emergency happens. Additionally he should have kept the aircraft chocked.

He rushed the whole think for the sake of getting in the air and it cost him.

Saw that clip many years ago. Hand propping is dangerous but can be successfully done if you know what you're doing. This guy should have briefed his passenger on using the brakes and shutting down the engine if an emergency happens. Additionally he should have kept the aircraft chocked.

He rushed the whole think for the sake of getting in the air and it cost him.
Agreed...or better still, there seemed to be quite a few guys out there that day, surely one of the guys would have been able to lend him a hand so he could remain at the controls.

Agreed...or better still, there seemed to be quite a few guys out there that day, surely one of the guys would have been able to lend him a hand so he could remain at the controls.

Yep!

Hand propping an aircraft by yourself could be really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. The FEDs try to violate people for hand propping an aircraft solo, but some FAA inspectors forget that many years ago this was the norm and there are still many aircraft flying that have no starter. I prefer to have someone with me, either on the outside or inside of the aircraft if I have to handprop but I have done it solo on many occasions with the Cub I've been working on and one 150 I used to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back