happy 4th of july

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, the Pearson Pennant. It was one of the three finalists for the new flag, back in 1964-'65. The other two were, of course, our present flag, and one that was almost identical to the present flag except that it had the Union Jack in the upper left corner and a fleur-de-lis banner in the upper right. It looks hideous.

Another hum-dinger from the book here was just Québec's provincial flag with the Union Jack in the canton. Yeah, that would have made everyone happy alright. Christ. :rolleyes:

Well boys if it were not for South Africa which said at the commonwealth meatthing that the Dominions should have the same rights and powers as Great Briton has we all would have still been totally ruled by the UK.

Its interesting how you guys (south africa and US) struggled to be independant through suffering while Canada just politely asked "could we be independant" and britain said "Well since you asked nicely, I dont see why not" I know thats not exactly how it happened but we did ask them.

We also gained it in 1961, we did not fight the Boer war to gain Independence we fought the invaders. The Boer States Transvaal and Vrystaat did not attack the British Armed forces they attacked the Boer States.

I must say that the UK did much for South Africa and the same goes for South Africa doing much for the UK.

Nonskimmer said:
You're right, we do still see ourselves as the queen's minions. So do the Australians and New Zealanders, as a matter of fact. :lol:
So what? It don't mean a damn thing.

I have to desagree there. We cannot see ourselves as the King's/Queen's minions and also claim to be an independent country.

You see, that's the main reason why the separatist movement is so high in Québec (around 48%). If the English-Canadians really acted as Canadians instead of acting like "deportated Britons", the separatist percentage would drop like lead ballons. Why ? Because we never liked the idea of being ruled by a king living thousands of miles away from us. Even if it's more like a symbol now, the Queen of England is still the Queen of Canada.

You want a strong and unified Canada ? Then get rid of the Governor General and Lieutenant Governors, get rid of all that royal bullsh*t like the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Royal 22nd Regiment, the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, the Royal Canadian Air Force, the Royal Canadian Navy and so on... Why everything in Canada has to be Royal ? That royally sucks !

Nonskimmer said:
Incidentally, that second example of yours with the three leaves was favoured by then Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson. It was known as the "Pearson Pennant".

Yeah, I know. I typed "Alternate Canadian Flag" on Google and that's what came out.

Actually you should be thankful for the British influence otherwise Quebec would have grown up to be like France an average country that country that pretends to be important:p

Maestro said:
I have to desagree there. We cannot see ourselves as the King's/Queen's minions and also claim to be an independent country.
Why not? We are, and have been for many years now. It's just a f*cking symbol.

You see, that's the main reason why the separatist movement is so high in Québec (around 48%). If the English-Canadians really acted as Canadians instead of acting like "deportated Britons", the separatist percentage would drop like lead ballons.
Well then I'll tell you what. When the people of Québec stop acting like some kinda deported Maquis resistance fighters, I'll stop acting like a deported Briton. Hows that for a deal?

Deported Briton. Christ. F*ck off. :rolleyes:
We're every bit as f*cking Canadien as anyone else. Even those of us who still give a sh*t about the Queen. That wouldn't be me by the way, but that's not the point. I don't know how many more times I can say the same thing about the Queen: It's just symbolic. It means nothing.

You want a strong and unified Canada ? Then get rid of the Governor General and Lieutenant Governors, get rid of all that royal bullsh*t like the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Royal 22nd Regiment, the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, the Royal Canadian Air Force, the Royal Canadian Navy and so on... Why everything in Canada has to be Royal ? That royally sucks !
I can take care of the Royal Canadian Air Force and Royal Canadian Navy for you right now.

<waves magic wand>

There, done. That was easy.

Well Canada is still a dominion as far as I know so it has all the right to call it the Royal Navy and Royal Canadian Airforce. I am just glad that we are free of the UK influence here in SA, but in Zimbabwe they would have stayed longer and killed all those terrorest who think they are freedom fighters. Now look at the ruling freedom fighter named Robert Mugabe. @sshole.

*sigh* (Boy this is getting repetitive)

We're not a dominion. We have not been even remotely considered a dominion of Great Britain since April 17th, 1982. That's a large part of the reason that we no longer call July 1st Dominion Day. It's been Canada Day since 1983. We do still choose to remain under the *ahem* "rule" of the Royal Family of England for the entirely symbolic and ceremonial reason that we as a nation in general presently consider it to be an important and honourable link with our heritage. There are however many people, both of French and English heritage who disagree with this. Then there are those of us who view the entire matter of the Queen with a sort of reserved indifference. We know that at the end of the day, it really ain't that big of a deal.

Having said this, I for one happen to agree with Maestro when he says that the Governor General of Canada and all similar appointments are a completely useless and financially draining waste of time. On those terms, I agree that it's time to do away with all of that junk and move on to brighter and better things.

Henk, the RCAF and RCN thing had to do with cost cutting and the consolidation of military resources back in the late '60's. The name change to Canadian Armed Forces was just a reflection of the new state of the military at the time.

I hope that we can all be the bestest of buds. :)

pbfoot said:
Actually you should be thankful for the British influence otherwise Quebec would have grown up to be like France an average country that country that pretends to be important:p

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the British influence over Québec. In fact, if the Brits had never won the Battle of the Abraham Plains, we would have ended as a Northern Haiti. Even now, I'm pretty sure that if ever Québec become Independent, we're gonna end up as either Haiti, the USSR or the Nazi Germany of 1939.

However, their time has come. We must get rid of all those useless symbols.

Nonskimmer said:
Well then I'll tell you what. When the people of Québec stop acting like some kinda deported Maquis resistance fighters, I'll stop acting like a deported Briton. Hows that for a deal?

Deported Briton. Christ. F*ck off. :rolleyes:
We're every bit as f*cking Canadien as anyone else. Even those of us who still give a sh*t about the Queen. That wouldn't be me by the way, but that's not the point. I don't know how many more times I can say the same thing about the Queen: It's just symbolic. It means nothing.

Oh... Would I have hit the weak spot ? :p

For sure some of us act like some deported Maqui fighters. I don't deny it. It just prove that we don't wanna stay in the shadow of the Empire. (Hey... That sounds like a Star Wars game title. :rolleyes: )

I know that the Queen is just symbolic. But it does mean something. It means that we are still attached to Great-Britain. Even if legally the Queen has no right over Canada, she has still a moral right since she is also Queen of Canada.

Now, I know that I'm being considered as an ******* by many Canucks for pissing on the Royal family. But I don't give a sh*t ! It's my opinion, and I share it.

Maestro said:
Oh... Would I have hit the weak spot ? :p
Yeah, ya did. We're Canadians, that's all there is to it. Don't ever - EVER - suggest that I'm anything otherwise. If you can tell me how you're any better, I'm all ears buddy. Until then, don't even joke to me about it anymore.

I know that the Queen is just symbolic. But it does mean something. It means that we are still attached to Great-Britain. Even if legally the Queen has no right over Canada, she has still a moral right since she is also Queen of Canada.
Alright, look. I can see that the whole Queen issue really bothers you. As I've said many times myself, I couldn't give two sh*ts about the Queen. Do away with it, blast her to Mars, I don't care. Why the hell do you? I mean really now, why do so many people get so f*cking bent out of shape over a woman who has about as much say in Canadian matters as a bad case of diarrhea? It's asinine. F*ck man, just chill about it. Suck back and get drunk or something, she's just the f*cking Queen. Whoopy. Bow to a poster of Ozzy Osbourne instead then, I don't f*cking care.

God - this went from Happy 4th of July to Canadian politics - God Bless the USA, God Bless Canada, God Bless the Queen!!!!:occasion5: :drinking:

50116.jpg

US-UK2.jpg

ab1321.jpg

that was begging to turn into some sort of Canadian uprising, i can see skimmey now, taking over his submarine with a few of his mates, declaring himself captain, threatening to scuttle the sub if the Queen isn't assassinated, the Canadians agreeing because they can't afford to loose the sub :lol:

and being patriotic i can't pass up the opportunity...

God Save The Queen! :salute:

the lancaster kicks *** said:
...threatening to scuttle the sub if the Queen isn't assassinated...
I couldn't possibly. I swore an oath to her when I joined up. ;)

Canadian Forces Oath of Allegiance:

I,__________, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, her heirs and
successors according to law. So help me God.

Not a word about the country or it's people. All about the Queen, baby. Does it bother me? Yeah, a little. It bothered me a whole lot more when I was younger, but I've come to realize that life's just too damn short. It's really a sorely out of date oath, and completely hypocritical anyway. It ought to be amended if it hasn't already (I honestly haven't checked recently). Virtually no one in the CF fights for Liz, least of all any Québeckers. We're here to serve Canada, naturally. I'll say this about traditions, sometimes they're taken just a bit too far. Even I'll agree to that.

Alright, shutting up about Canada now. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back