Happy Stolen Pagan Holidays aka Merry Christmas

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My German family always celebrates St. Martins Tag as well on 11 November as well with a traditional feast of Goose. Christmas is celebrated the traditional German way on the 24th of December.

I've always thought the U.S. should have an equivalent to Totensonntag, "a general celebration in memorial of the deceased." We have Memorial Day for deceased military personnel but not for our "ancestors" in general. According to Wiki this started in 1816 by decree from Fredrick William III and is considered a "silent day", where some social restrictions apply. Of course, should the U.S. declare such a holiday it would not be a "silent" day but more like an Irish wake and, like many other U.S. holidays, would result in considerable alcohol consumption and general partying. So, on second thought, maybe we Americans are not yet ready for such a day. As the old adage goes: "Europeans think 100 miles (160km) is a long distance while Americans think 100 years is a long time."

Well i think if one is to remember me, i would very much like to they do that while having a party. I know the rememberance will be very brief because it is a party, but i have that any day above any other.

I've always thought the U.S. should have an equivalent to Totensonntag, "a general celebration in memorial of the deceased." We have Memorial Day for deceased military personnel but not for our "ancestors" in general. According to Wiki this started in 1816 by decree from Fredrick William III and is considered a "silent day", where some social restrictions apply. Of course, should the U.S. declare such a holiday it would not be a "silent" day but more like an Irish wake and, like many other U.S. holidays, would result in considerable alcohol consumption and general partying. So, on second thought, maybe we Americans are not yet ready for such a day. As the old adage goes: "Europeans think 100 miles (160km) is a long distance while Americans think 100 years is a long time."
Many areas in the U.S., where there's Mexican populations, celebrate Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead).

%D8%A7%D8%B3-%D8%A7%D9%85-%D8%A7%D8%B3-%DA%A9%D8%B1%DB%8C%D8%B3%D9%85%D8%B3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back