Hasegawa 1/48 Bf 109K-4 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!

John, the field-applied paint, I assume, would be the dark green stuff that you've added at the rear fuselage. I would therefore consider not adding the stencils for the frame numbers, the step on the port side, and any others located in these oversprayed areas. I think the fuel triangles tended to be reapplied, as it was important that the right fuels be used.

Looking very good.

Interestingly enough, one of the resources that I've found for Blue 16 says that the dark green is factory applied. The instructions for AVIPRINT decal 48005 says, "The fuselage sides were sprayed by darker green color during production forasmuch the bulkhead numbers are written atop this color." I couldn't confirm this info (it cites Japo Publishing's 109K Camo & Marking book as a reference) and can't discern any stenciling in the dark green area per the picture. Black stenciling doesn't show up on the dark green I've painted anyway so I've left those lower stencils off.

Continued work on the starboard side decals. The circular port that I had previously painted red was indeed underneath the number 16. I had so much trouble getting the white decal to sit into this area that cut I the decal portion away after application, which was messy. To avoid that with the blue decal, I punched out the area figuring I could match it later with paint. Instead of painting it red, I think I'll just leave it as it is since the 16 was applied later in this aircraft's life.
IMG_3552_zpsma5yhudv.jpg

IMG_3553_zpstb6jojcd.jpg

Ok... so this is what Blue 16 looks like after the decals were sealed with a thin gloss coat.
IMG_3554_zpskgzmdlwa.jpg

IMG_3557_zpshygtir79.jpg

IMG_3556_zpsimfedjjf.jpg

I wanted to break up the broad expanses of green on the upper surfaces, especially the wings so I did some salt fading. It's hard to see in the photos but I intentionally kept this effect very subtle.
IMG_3559_zpskd7v7tfk.jpg

IMG_3560_zps7ojjqoiw.jpg

Next is a panel wash to dirty up the plane some more. Stay tuned...

Time for a dirty wash. The 109K is given a brown wash on the bottom. I mix my own washes using scrapings from pastel chalks mixed with water... old school but it works.
IMG_3561_zpsdjvmmxpz.jpg

After the wash is dry, it is wiped off using a camp piece of paper towel. The wash in the recessed areas should remain. You can allow a residual amount of wash to remain in non-recessed areas as well to simulate dirt and wear so it's a good idea to wipe in the direction of the airflow.
IMG_3562_zpsdoohkgou.jpg

The upper surfaces are given a darker wash.
IMG_3564_zpsavxp3rtc.jpg

Wiping with a paper towel leaves bits of paper particles on the model so it is very important to give it a good wiping with a clean cloth before the flat coat is applied.
IMG_3565_zpsumwsen1f.jpg

IMG_3566_zpsh5dcirja.jpg

IMG_3567_zpsvewnz30q.jpg

I think she's ready for the next step... flat coat.
IMG_3568_zps5tptisgf.jpg

IMG_3569_zpsl4qcdtwf.jpg

IMG_3571_zpscu4ghvjc.jpg

Flat coat is on. I used Alclad Aqua Gloss with Tamiya Flat Base added. It's a bit tricky to use as you get a nasty white frosting to the finish if you put too much Flat Base into the mix. I prefer a flatter finish but I'm afraid of pushing it any more. The flat coat has all but eliminated the salt chipping effect... I guess I was a little TOO subtle with it.
IMG_3572_zpsqu8ojfwa.jpg

IMG_3573_zpsmmaptsbd.jpg

IMG_3574_zpsgp8tuzwx.jpg

Some closeups of the finish.
IMG_3577_zpsteekgfx0.jpg

IMG_3578_zpsgz6ldwcf.jpg

IMG_3579_zpskggxmom0.jpg

With the flat coat finished, all that remains is adding all of the bits and pieces, which have all been pre-painted. I started with the supercharger intake and exhausts.
IMG_3580_zpsyivm4pl1.jpg

IMG_3581_zpsckzjw1zc.jpg

The deflector plates are added above the exhausts. I'm glad I replaced the kit parts with brass.
IMG_3582_zpsjwmptrxv.jpg

IMG_3583_zpshp90vsz7.jpg

The canopy masks are removed. No mishaps but I had a temporary scare when I found a little white scrap of plastic resting in the middle of the windshield. A few flicks from the outside with my fingernail was enough to dislodge it luckily.
IMG_3584_zpsf6bczazw.jpg

IMG_3586_zpstknayqt8.jpg

The landing gear struts are glued into place. I'll get the struts set in place before I mount the wheels. The tail wheel is a tight friction fit so I might just leave it unglued.
IMG_3587_zpsund3odtr.jpg

IMG_3588_zpsiu20lfut.jpg

The prop blades have been added to the spinner.
IMG_3590_zpsl1pygdac.jpg

Before the more delicate antenna are put on, I'll do some minor paint chipping. More to come!

I agree, too.
That interesting, clean and clearly explained tutorial you're leaving us here, John.

Esperando lo que sigue... :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back