Hawk 75 in BoB colours.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
This is not a start to finish build as I built this AZ models Mohawk IV a while back. Got bored with it and left it for a while then picked it up and gave it a horrible paint job which I got bored with and left it for a while. There was a recent thread about what US aircraft the RAF could have used in the Battle of Britain and I thought what would an eight gun Mohawk look like in June 1940.

So I have started stripping the paint off and it's a horrible job.
IMG_20200927_142139911.jpg
IMG_20200927_142331657.jpg

Good job. I've used nail polish remover many time to strip aircraft paint

I have used brown Dettol disinfectant (not sure if that's a universal brand or just British) to strip plastic models before but I have had a couple of times where it attacked the plastic. I used Deluxe Strip Magic this time, it's not really a stripper but it softens the paint enough to shift it with a toothbrush. Never tried nail polish remover before does it strip the paint or just soften it.

I use this brand. It strips the paint...

Untitled.png

It does contain acetone and everyone seems to go nuts and point out that it will harm plastic. I've safely removed paint from four 1:48 fighters from four different kit makers without drama. Maybe I'm very lucky or maybe its the way I go about it. I don't bathe the model in remover. I pour a bit into a plastic paint palette. Dip a piece of paper towel into the liquid and start scrubbing. The paper towel has been folded over four times and then cut into 2" squares. Its very time consuming as this will only remove about 1² - 2² inches at a time. If I feel I've added too much remover, I'll rinse the area with water, dry it off and carry on. Wear a respirator lest ye want to see Care Bears wandering around your modelling area. As I've said, I haven't had any issues but there is always a first time so I start stripping on the bottom......just in case

A coat of Sky type S on the underside. I was a bit unsure about this but I like the colour so went with it. I am not very familiar with fighter colours of the time but I have found several pictures of Hurricanes and Spitfires with Sky undersides. August 1940.
16013150868958132129218415667663.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back