Hawker Hurricane MkIIb, RHAF 335 Sqdn, 1942, Hobbycraft 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tazman

Airman
Dec 5, 2011
Hello!
My name is Stathis. I come from Greece. Mainly, I built Hellenic Air Force's aeroplanes, or foreign that were piloted by Greek pilots.
In 2011 I posted a thread asking for some info on a Hurricane with code ''FGoΣ''. Σ is S in English. With help from this forum ad from a Greek one, I found the solution. The plae is a MkIIb. Its serial number is BD930 given to Royal Hellenic Air Force by RAF. There are some statements which say that this particular aircraft (like some other Hellenic ones) had Greek markings at the sides and under the wings. But I will built it using the British ones, because it was using the British markings when it was first given to 335 squadron.

The kit is from Hobbycraft with not too much detail. So I glued the canopy closed. With this kit you can built a MkIIc or d but not a MkIIb, because of the wings. With some putty and CA glue I sanded some panel lines and then made some new ones, in order to have a ''b'' wing. I left two pin marks in the wheel wells, even though I painted them! So I have to sand them too... :oops:

I painted the udersides with Model Master Azure Blue (with some fading) and the first colour topside is Humbrol 225 Middlestone.

DSC_0843-1.gif

DSC_0842-2.gif

DSC_0844-1.gif

This photo shows the wings before the rescribing. I drew the panel lines first. A friend of mine gave me some schematics (or how they are called) to see how the panels are.
DSC_0834.gif

Now I will go for the second colour, Humbrol 29 Dark Earth, with the use of blue tac. See you soon! :)

Thanks guys! I painted the Dark Earth, but there are some minor mistakes to correct, so I will post a photo when I'm finished correcting. But I made a major mistake with the canopy (as always :oops:) and I had to use a toothpick to remove some paint from it...
The kit is nice for its price.

Hi guys!

I finally finished the Hurricane even without making it a medal winner. At least I think that it is a decent one.

Here are the pictures

DSC_0843-2.jpg

DSC_0871.jpg

DSC_0875.jpg

DSC_0996.jpg

DSC_1000.jpg

DSC_09952.jpg

One of the markings broke in pieces. I will try to fix it.
Also, please remind me how to post the pictures in thumbnails, so you can see the picture and then click on it.

I would like to thank my friends here in Greece and everyone who helped me with this build, from my first post here:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/qu...greek-hurricane-mk-ib-egypt-1-48-a-31087.html

:wave::wave::wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done. For future reference, the wheel bays, and inside of the wheel doors, were normally painted in 'Aluminium'.

Nicely done. For future reference, the wheel bays, and inside of the wheel doors, were normally painted in 'Aluminium'.

I was told that this particular aircraft, had the colour you said, but it had an accident before it was given to 335 Squadron. But at those days, when a plane could fly again after a minor accident, they didn't always paint it with the right colours. It is said that BD930 would have been painted in green as many other Hurricanes. But I will have it in mind, as I would like to built a MkIIc. Thanks for the notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back