Hawker Typhoon IB "Nicky" 439 Squadron RCAF 1/48 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The trunking marked 'Silver' is correct. There is also an actuating ram for the radiator exit flap, placed centrally which, from what I can see form the Arthur Bentley scale drawings, is either mounted on, or through, the trunking.
The underside recognition/signalling lamp was normally an amber colour on British aircraft. Although, as Wojtek remarked, coloured bulbs were often used for navigation lamps, as far as I know, the lens cover was actually tinted on the underside lamp. However, I've only actually seen this on the Hurricane and Spitfire, but I would think the Typhoon would have been the same.
I was hoping to get a closer look at the RAF Museum's Typhoon, as I ran out of time when I was in the Conservation Centre at Cosford, but now that's it's about to depart for Canada, there's not much hope of photographing such details now!

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Terry, my understanding is that for the navigation light on the wing tips they all followed the naval format of Red on the port side and green on the starboard side. I was thinking I would dip the clear plastic parts that came with the kit in red and green transparent paint. For the ID light on the bottom I was thinking I would paint the recess in red and drop the clear plastic part over top or I could do the same as the navigation lights. What do you think? If amber I don't think I have this colour.

Yes, that'll work, but check your references to see if the wing tip nav lamp covers were clear, or tinted - they may be clear with coloured bulbs. I can't get to my Typhoon references at the moment to confirm. The green (starboard) lamp was often more of a bluish green.
If they turn out to be coloured bulbs, then drill the clear parts on the inside, add a drop of the required coloured paint to the hole(s), allow to dry, then fit to the wings
For an amber colour, just add a bit of yellow to red paint, to give an orange tone - simples!
Paint this in the recess, and add the clear lens, using PVA, Clearfix or Kristal Kleer.
Do all this last, after the model is painted, decalled and final clear coat.

Thanks for the tips Terry. I have some blue transparent paint so can mix it with the green for the starboard light.
I will check my meager references as well to see if the lenses were tinted or the bulbs were the associated colours.

I have tried to find a shot of the detail and it wasn't easy. There isn't too many of images of a good quality. Here a little bit enlarged parts of a couple of pictures of the early and late Typhoons where you can see the nav light in. The interior is noticable so it means that the light lens were clear. The one taken in a museum got yellowish because of the time. Hope these can help.

Terry,

DO you have pictures of this actuating ram?

The below pic was taken of the Hendon sample and shows the trunking with a canvas cover for some reason. Nevertheless, you can see the actuator going through the duct, though the attachment to the flap is missing.

And in this pic, you can just make out the rod:

Thanks Andy, saved me digging into my files!
The reason for the canvas trunking is quite simple - it's a mock up, and is part canvas, part linoleum, which has suffered and degraded since the splendid work was undertaken by the chaps at RAF Shawbury in the 1960's.
This, the only (almost) complete Typhoon in the world, was sent to the USA for evaluation during WW2. After brief trials, it was put into storage, and, after the war, it was earmarked for what eventually became what is now the aviation collection of the Smithsonian, but was again put into storage and never actually got on display.
It was returned to the UK in the early/mid 1960's, in exchange for a Hurricane, when it was intended to be a future exhibit at the then planned RAF Museum, which din't open until 1972.
During it's time in the 'States, many parts and fittings 'went missing', including all the engine cowlings, the spinner, radiator and associated trunking, an aileron, I think at least one flap, some other engine fittings, and a host of smaller parts.
A team at RAF Shawbury, Shropshire, UK, made plain, mock-up cowling panels, which lack the internal frames and are in one piece, instead of the multi-panels, and also lack external rivets and 'surface detail', and they also fabricated and fitted the basic shape of the missing control surfaces.
The missing engine and associated parts were, of course, hidden under the 'new' cowlings, but a radiator front, at least, had to be visible, and this was 'mocked up' by cutting down a truck radiator, to 'look the part'!
A spinner couldn't be found anywhere at the time, as all Typhoons were scrapped immediately after the war ended, so the team did a really splendid job of getting as close as they could, by cutting, trimming and joining a spinner from a Hastings - hence the slightly pointed, 'wrong looking' spinner in place to this day.
As for the missing radiator trunking, visible at the rear of the 'chin', at the open rear end, this was fabricated from canvas, cardboard and 'linoleum', and painted to look like the metal trunking - good enough to fill the otherwise empty space.
The cockpit has some 'non-standard' items, such as the American - fitted, yellow tape around the Blind Flying Panel instruments, and an American documents case, not seen on 'in service' RAF Typhoons.
I was hoping to ask the team at The RAF Museum Conservation Centre, Cosford, where the Typhoon was taken to in October, for display in the Cosford museum site, if a 'proper' restoration would take place before the aircraft went on display, but ran out of time during my visit. However, with the recent news that the aircraft is now being loaned to Canada this year, for a period of possibly up to three years, any such major fabrication work, at this stage, is highly unlikely.
Many modellers, and indeed kit manufacturers, have been 'caught out' by referring only to what is seen on this particular aircraft, and duplicating it, when, with a little simple research, especially by manufacturers, any errors could be avoided, as the information regarding this airframe has been published, in aviation and modelling magazines, a number of times over the years and is, of course, available from the RAF Museum.
For the individual modeller, there is an excuse, but for authors and publishers of such things as 'Walk Around' guides/books, there is no excuse, as it only takes a little effort and few questions to establish the facts, and present the information that people are paying for, when buying such 'guides'.
Hope this helps.

Vic, Wojtek,

Thanks for stopping by and having a peek at the build.

Gpt the camo scheme on, and painted the yellow ID panels. Have also started the touch up process. I used Tamiya's new paints they made specifically for the release of their 1/32 scale Spitfire IX. XF82 (ocean grey)) and XF83(RAF Dark green). I used Model Master Enamel Insignia yellow for the ID panels. I didn't like this paint very much as it took too many passes with my AB in my opinion to get the full colour opacity ie no base colour showing through.

Next up will be to paint the exhausts, add the landing gear, paint the trunk on the radiator on the underside and add the actuating rod.

Will post more pics soon.

Cheers for now.

Last edited:
Sure does. A little bright at the moment, but after clear coats, decals and gentle weathering, it should look the biz. Note that the decking under the canopy, and the head armour, was matt black.

Thanks Rochie.

I have also begun to look at the 500 pound bombs that I will be putting on the aircraft. I am wondering if they were painted like the 1000 lb bombs per the picture below. Any help here would be appreciated.

Also, I am thinking of putting the fuses on the bombs but that's going to take some scratch work. I haven't seen any completed typhoon models with these in place so it could look interesting.See a picture of one loaded on a typhoon with the fuses in place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread