Hawker Typhoon IB "Nicky" 439 Squadron RCAF 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

good_zpsf7a0a96d.gif

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for your taking the time to post your comments.

Here is some progress on the fuselage.

The fit is not that great. When you put the fuselage halves together you either get a gap along the top of the fuselage forward of the cockpit when pressing the bottom half of fuselage together behind the wings or vice versa
I elected to insure the fit was best along the bottom of the fuselage and fillled the resulting gap along the upper decking forward of the cockpit with plastic card then shaved off the edge of it till it was flush with the decking then sanded it smooth. I also filled the seam along sides of the fuselage with Mr. Surfacer 500. I also sanded this down till it was smooth the fuselage.

Next I removed the canopy rail and made my own with plastic card which I think looks much better.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_0445b_600c.JPG

IMG_0445b_600.JPG

IMG_0450a600.JPG

IMG_0448a600.JPG

Okay,

Here we go with another update.

As I stated before the air intake was missing the top cover from the kit. I also read that the kit part wasn't that great to begin with any way.
So, I scratch built the intake surround myself.

For this exercise I used a piece of thin piece of brass sheet which I was able to achieve a higher degree of permanent bend from versus plastic card.
Below you will see some pics of the brass sheet cut, holes punched, shaped and put in place above the air intake. I also used some plastic card to provide some stiffening to the brass sheet.

Next I used apoxie sculpt in a 3 step process to build up the intake surround. The last step being to add the hump that sits above the intake ring. In a final step I used Mr. Surfacer 500 to smooth everything out.

Cheers,
Dave.

IMG_0437a600.JPG

IMG_0436a600.JPG

IMG_0464a600.JPG

IMG_0458a600.JPG

Last edited:
Guys,

A big thank you to you all for dropping in and having a look at the build thus far. Much appreciated.

I am moving into the the painting of the fuselage soon. I just got the wings on and the tempest tail planes as well as the tail wheel. Will post some pics soon.

One question I have is with regards to the painting of the wheel wells.

I found a comment from Terry about the painting of the the wheel wells and the inside of the landing gear doors for Typhoons here.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/painting-questions-tutorials-guidebooks/raf-colors-23280.html

Terry, states they were Aluminum. But I am wondering if the landing gear covers and inside of the landing gear doors were sometimes also painted in perhaps medium sea grey??
Here are some pics. For example the landing gear covers in these pictures (the first one is of a tempest bay but I would imagine the same would go for a typhoon as well) are in my opinion not painted in silver but in some other colour. The Hasegawa instructions indicate silver for these parts.

Thoughts?

tempest bay.jpg
typhoon early500.jpg

wheels.jpg

Last edited:
That's the 'Aluminium' finish used by Hawkers, a surface coating made by adding aluminium powder to clear dope, giving a matt silver finish, although I believe the gear doors were actually silver paint, which, in certain lighting conditions, could display a slight contrast.
It's possible that the inside of the gear and wheel wells doors are a light grey in these photos, although the lighting could be having an effect. I have actually seen some film footage showing what appeared to be the Cockpit Grey/Green in one instance, which was not usual, but the 'factory' finish used by Hawkers (and the Gloster factory) was 'silver', and this is evident on most photos of Typhoons, Tempests and Hurricanes.
I usually use a matt silver for the doors, and silver with a very small touch of white added for the wheel wells and gear legs.

That's the 'Aluminium' finish used by Hawkers, a surface coating made by adding aluminium powder to clear dope, giving a matt silver finish, although I believe the gear doors were actually silver paint, which, in certain lighting conditions, could display a slight contrast.
It's possible that the inside of the gear and wheel wells doors are a light grey in these photos, although the lighting could be having an effect. I have actually seen some film footage showing what appeared to be the Cockpit Grey/Green in one instance, which was not usual, but the 'factory' finish used by Hawkers (and the Gloster factory) was 'silver', and this is evident on most photos of Typhoons, Tempests and Hurricanes.
I usually use a matt silver for the doors, and silver with a very small touch of white added for the wheel wells and gear legs.

Terry,

Thanks so much for noting my comments and responding. I like your suggestion for adding a bit of white to the matt silver. I have to give this a try.

Cheers,

Gents,

I am back with another update.

Here are some pics with the wings monted, fuselage in place and the tempest tailplanes and exhausts from Ultracast and resin antiflutter wheels from Barracuda. I also drilled out the cannon muzzles as well.
I did some spot priming and found some areas that need improvement as there were some visible join lines along the top of the fuselage and leading edge of the wings. I am going to do that and once done begin the painting process yoo hoo.

IMG_0469a600.JPG

IMG_0476a600.JPG

IMG_0477a600.JPG

IMG_0479a600.JPG

IMG_0490a600.JPG

Also,

worked on the landing gear and added the brake lines from .3mm lead wire and what I would call the stirrups on the landing gear. Here I came up with the idea to use some brass buckles from a 1/35 brass set I had for German army uniforms.I think they actually look pretty good and fairly close to scale.

Here are the pics and reference.

gearwith note.jpg

IMG_0471a700.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back