Hawker Typhoon IB "Nicky" 439 Squadron RCAF 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm not claiming to have the great pictures myself but, like you Dave and if it helps, my workshop area is all fluorescent. However, I've also set up an incandescent desk lamp over my work for the extra light and take pictures with all these on. I set my camera to incandescent bulb for shots and shine the desk lamp really close to the subject, just out of view.

I am going to try this approach and see how it works. Should get some incandescent anyway as they are not going to be around for too much longer. I heard they were now banned in the U.S.

Yep, they're much easier. I use both my desk lamps, one each side, and at the moment they only have 40 Watt bulbs fitted, but work fine.
Incandescent bulbs were hard to find here in the UK for a period, but seem to have re-appeared again. All this b*ll*cks about replacing them with 'long life' 'eco' bulbs seems to have died-out a bit - maybe because the 'eco' bulbs are bl**dy hazardous to dispose off !!!!

yeah, not go go OT but what a crock that is. Canada's supposedly banned the old bulbs too but no one has figured out how to deal with all the extra mercury in the "new and improved" bulbs.

Hi Guys,

No build updates but do have an acquistion update.

Just purchased the following Quickboost gunsights. These are newly released.
I wanted the gyro set for this build but figured I would get the reflector sights as well for future builds.

Here they are;

QB48581.jpg

QB48580.jpg

Nice little build going on here David, though obviously not without a ping or two and every time I drop something on the floor, I dread moving as I have a roller chair and size 12 plates.

Good bit of info on the camera lighting as well, I'll have to play with that idea under my LED lamp which I use for the close up shots. Going to check out those gun sights as well, so thanks for the pointer.

Nice little build going on here David, though obviously not without a ping or two and every time I drop something on the floor, I dread moving as I have a roller chair and size 12 plates.

Good bit of info on the camera lighting as well, I'll have to play with that idea under my LED lamp which I use for the close up shots. Going to check out those gun sights as well, so thanks for the pointer.

Thanks Vic,

Pretty frustrating when you have keep making the same part over again.

I think my third attempt was better than my first.

I started on the harness and almost have it done. I willl post some updates soon. However I came across another big problem.
The radiator intake is suppose to have a semi circular round cover on top which I believe covers the open area between the radiator and the fuselage. Unfortunately this part (A6 or B6) is missing. The dumbass I purchased the kit from told me all parts were in the kit. Its a small part and I completely missed checking for it which makes me one as well. This means I have to make my own and it could be a real challange. This is area I am talking about.

typhoon intake1.jpg

I am thinking of using some thin plastic card stock to cover this area but cutting it just the right size and bending it perfectily to fit on the sides of the intake could be a real challange. My biggest question is, should I glue the fuselage halves together with the radiator mounted and fit the new piece then or should I make one piece that covers the area then cut it in half, mount each piece on the appropriate half of the fuselage, then glue the fuselage together and fill the area after ward?

Last edited:
Definitely an option to use a spare bomb but I thinking I would use some apoxie sculpt for this part.
I have some very thin brass sheets which I might cut and bend to form around the intake. Should be much easier than getting plastic card to form the shape I need. I have an aluminum rolling set with various diameters for the rollers that is made for just such a purpose.

Might be easier to file and sand a piece of sprue to the desired shape, and incorporate that with plastic sheet and filler (putty) to blend it all in.

Thanks Guys,

As I mentioned above I have Apoxie Sculpt which is two part putty with a relatively long curing time (ie a few hours) I also have Milliput and bondo filler (very short curing time) which I could use.The challenge is to produce the shape above the radiator. Round on the sides and level in the center. Then it has to have the correct width to cover the area betwen the lip of the intake and the radiator yet be thin enough to run down the interior sides of the intake. I have varying thicknesses of plastic card stock which I can use and as I said I have a thin sheet of brass card. So I have some options. I am thinking I will glue the radiator in place then join the fuselage halves together then deal with the ugly gap above the radiator with the aforementioned tools. What do you think?

I will post some shots of the seat and harness I am finishing off soon.

Hi Folks,

Have been slowly working through the cockpit and harness set from HGW. I also had a go at the radiator. I used plastic card to detail up the radiator while chopping off the mounting points for the part that was missing from the kit. Won't be needing that as I have to make my own. Afterward I painted it in one of Tamiya's newer paints called Iron which I have not used before but thought the colour looked cool. To add some contrast I will probably lighten the iron and spray some high lights.

let me know what you think of the cockpit side wall detail.

Once I get the lap belts on I will give the seat a wash to dirty it up a bit and post some more pics.

Cheers,

IMG_0343a500.JPG

IMG_0354a_900.JPG

IMG_0359a_600.JPG

IMG_0363_600.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back