Hawker Typhoon IB "Nicky" 439 Squadron RCAF 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sure does. A little bright at the moment, but after clear coats, decals and gentle weathering, it should look the biz. Note that the decking under the canopy, and the head armour, was matt black.

Thanks Terry,

Yes. It is indeed bright but that's what I expected with a fresh coat of paint and no fading, weathering etc. For the canopy area behind the armour plate was the viewable area all flat black?

Very nice job with the camo, mine always tend to look like I painted it and not very official. My favorite exhaust paint is Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Colour "Burnt Iron". I've got "British Bombs and Fuses" so I'll be back in a bit. Nice info Terry, mental note made for my Photo Recon Typhoon.

Geo

Hope these are of some use..

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG

Geo

Yes Dale, all the area under the canopy, when closed, was Matt black, with a 'gasket' surrounding where the canopy edges met when closed, and a jettison cable running down the port side, to the jettison release mechanism. The cable can only just be seen at certain angles, and is probably not worth bothering about in this scale.

Hey thanks guys.

I had a mishap with my initial decaling which got ugly.

The Aeromaster decals for the national insignia are actually 3 decals. The yellow outline, the blue inner circle and the red dot. The decals are already thick so you can imagine the amount of water and sol I had to use to get them to settle down when trying to lay down the national insignia on the left wing. Anyway the water really ate up the future coat on the trailing edge of the left wing and messed things up. I added more future to fill in the area but it still left a distinct dark line running along the wing edge, stripping the future off only made it worse and I took mulitple layers of paint off the model as well. It got real ugly but I was able to repair the area where most of the damage was and have repainted the grey. Next I will repaint the green and hope things go well. Sorry I don't have pictures as I was too concerned with fixing the issue. Not having decaled in over two years should have taught me to go a bit slower. One thing I noticed about the new XF81, 82 and 83 paints from Tamiya is they are a fairly thick paint and do not dry flat but more with a satin type finish. On the bright side the National insignia turned out great and despite being super thick it settled fairly nicely into the panel lines of the airplane.
More progress shots coming this weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back