Hello all you model builders....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice work on that. Group Builds are model builds based on a pre-selected theme. Everyone who joins agrees to start their model no sooner than the start date and hopefully get the build finished before the end date which is 4 months after the start. Participants select an entry that fits the theme and also the skill level that they would like to be judged in at the end of the build. A panel of judges scores the models in each skill level category based on a prescribed posting of photos and awards a first, second, and third placing. Awards range from a case of beer to a million dollars in cash (.........er, not really - it's all in fun and there are no prizes other than bragging rights). The builds offer a motivational experience for the participants where knowledge, support, and advise are freely shared. Check out the Group Builds section on the home page and fire any questions you might want to ask. The current GB theme is "1950's conflicts". Not WW2 but we were running out of ideas.

For me, the GB's have been an incentive to complete a model, I have always had trouble mainly because of too many projects going at once. I have a 1/250 U.S.S. Oregon that I have been working on (replaced the decks with real wood, P.E., and scratch items too numerous to list!) for about 10 years now, a 1/144 U.S.S. Harriet Lane, same thing, a set of 1/35 Prussians from the Franco-Prussian war,two years, Two 1/48 Focke-wulf 190's (Priller and his wingman) over a year, several other 1/48 aircraft, and my crowning non-achevement, a 1/35 Saburo Sakai figure that is going on 25 years!
Hi meatloaf, I know it is kinda late for a reply to your thread, but I too am a perfectionist ,and was a professional model builder for over 25 years, but right now at age 87 I am still lucky that I can build anything,, What I am trying to say now is that I have hesitated on new projects, even though I have been buying new kits like crazy.. I love what you said about working on a project for over 25 years, I have quite a few of those and have been concerned that I haven't finished. No more, I enjoy all the detail work and from now on I will work on different models, and if they don't get finished, who cares, let the next person finish them if they haven't been sold at a garage sale by a neophyte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back