Hello all you model builders....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
I see an awful lot of builders in the "Start to Finish" thread. Why don't some of you guys join the Group Builds ? Most of what I see are quality built models, and your entry would be welcome. Right now we are in the Carrier Borne Aircraft Group Build. Any airplane that can or has been launched from a ship (including B-25's and catapulted aircraft) are welcome.

We'd love to have you...

Charles

They wouldn't be able to finish in time, I see some of those threads have been going on for years...no wait decades :D hehehe :) lightyears? :D ok too far :D

You just sometimes don't have enough time to post in the GB due to time constraints, there should be a 2011,2012 start to finish build thread sigy thing :D cause they do models too it just might take some a little longer to finish, for the GB you have to have a plan, execute it in a small amount of time and have everything turn out ok (or have enough time to fix things) when life such as work interceeds you don't have much time to fix things on models sometimes.

Rogi: All of the Group Builds run for four months. Maybe if you're building a 1:1 scale B-17, you couldn't finish in time, but any plastic scale or balsa/tissue model should not take more than four months to build. The current Aircraft Carrier GB started 1 August and ends 30 November.

Of course, if you're the typical traveling salesman.......

Charles

And some of them S2F builds are aside from the GB's.
I have a couple of them in the S2F section, ones I know I could not possibly do in the 4 months.
These just have too much research and custom stuff to them to do in 4 months, but I want incentive to finish them.

Having said that, I do see your point, Both points.

Bill

Good thread Charles.

I'm not as good as alot of these guys, but for my own part I can never concentrate on the GB builds.
4 months sounds alot (and is alot) but modelmaking is 'just a hobby' at the end of the day and daily life always butts in.
Personally, I'm a perfectionist too (read that as very self conscious, only the best workmanship is good enough), and the competition side is very inhibiting - takes the fun out of it completely.

If you ever wanted a sincere and personal opinion of my character, that's it. Always trying to be the best that I can be.

Evan

Good thread Charles.

If you ever wanted a sincere and personal opinion of my character, that's it. Always trying to be the best that I can be.

Evan

Evan... your family and friends would not accept any less...

Charles

I've been in quite a few GB's myself but none recently. Right now nothing I have on the bench fits the Carrier GB but I'm very tempted to crack open one of My Phantom kits for it... In other words I'm thinking about it...

Although I am new to this website I am not new to the model building scene. The way I look at group builds is even when you are entering into the competition you are not really competing against other modelers, you are competing against yourself. Group builds are actually very productive to modeling and adds to the fun but its all on the person doing the building. Don't bite more than you can chew as to not be overwhelmed. Friendships are gained and thus helping you get that extra push to get your build complete. Learning on certain topics to be more educated on the service of the aircraft and what it was used for and historical value. Learning techniques to better yourself and making progress to your skills and self fulfillment of making something that you can say, "yeah I made that!"

We were all beginners at some point and those models may have not been the greatest thing out there but watch the progress of others and yourself and see how much one's models get better and better. You will learn alot, you will ask tons of questions and answer questions yourself. But the most important thing about a group build is to have fun! EVERYONE makes mistakes and the key is to learn how to fix it! Enter a group build with a basic model and spice it up and turn it into a great learning experience for you and others. Dont make it a chore or else it will be one.

Good thread Charles.

I'm not as good as alot of these guys, but for my own part I can never concentrate on the GB builds.
4 months sounds alot (and is alot) but modelmaking is 'just a hobby' at the end of the day and daily life always butts in.
Personally, I'm a perfectionist too (read that as very self conscious, only the best workmanship is good enough), and the competition side is very inhibiting - takes the fun out of it completely.

Evan

You could be speaking for me partner!

I've been modeling for some time and, like you, compared my results with Fine Scale Molder and sites like this one - meaning my work doesn't stand up to theirs.

I have recently joined a local club, I quickly found out that molders come in all skill levels. Some of our members are handicapped and of course some of their work in not "the best" when compared to others. They are, justifiably, proud of their work. Others make models purely for recreation and have never displayed their work and may never do so.

I'm slowly coming out of my shell. Being able to associate with others who share my passion is great and I highly recommend anyone like us to make the effort.

I am even going to participate in a group build which we will show next year. I'm quite excited about the challenge.

For me, the GB's have been an incentive to complete a model, I have always had trouble mainly because of too many projects going at once. I have a 1/250 U.S.S. Oregon that I have been working on (replaced the decks with real wood, P.E., and scratch items too numerous to list!) for about 10 years now, a 1/144 U.S.S. Harriet Lane, same thing, a set of 1/35 Prussians from the Franco-Prussian war,two years, Two 1/48 Focke-wulf 190's (Priller and his wingman) over a year, several other 1/48 aircraft, and my crowning non-achevement, a 1/35 Saburo Sakai figure that is going on 25 years!

Rogi: All of the Group Builds run for four months. Maybe if you're building a 1:1 scale B-17, you couldn't finish in time, but any plastic scale or balsa/tissue model should not take more than four months to build. The current Aircraft Carrier GB started 1 August and ends 30 November.

Of course, if you're the typical traveling salesman.......

Charles

No I'm thinking if you have a life outside of modeling, ie work 9-5, or school, 9-3, plus 4 hours studying, 2 hours of sports related activities (Taekwondo, Swimming, fitness etc) and family (watching your cousins, picking them up from school trying to organise your schedule to co-incide with theirs) plus trying to fit in a hobby you enjoy before going to bed, makes 4 months a "small" amount of time, if your trying to complete a plastic model within all the IPMS guidlines (no seem lines, good canopy, nice paint finish plus your obsessive about details). Factor in the weather for people who airbrush outside (like I do) rain, snow, wind all factors prevalent and always out there in my area (hence why I can't do any GBs from November onward, unless I figure out how to airbrush in my flat, easier said than done with my current configuration, I need to buy one of those wall things which shoots up water for indoor airbrush use)

Yes you could make a model in that time frame, but we all strive to do better each time we try and make a model. Most of us could pop out a model in 1 day non stop building np, would it be "contest" worthy probobly not, but still it is possible I agree with you there to make it within 4 months, is it possible to make it in the obsessive standards some of us take these kits to, along with our other activitys, its challenging but it can be done.

I'm a typic student(can't forget to fit in studying, I try to do at least a couple assignement while I'm waiting for my cousins to come out of their practices:D) who along with some hobby sports (swimming, Taekwondo) has to help out with my cousins, and I enjoy that, its almost like a alternative hobby for me (in a way it makes me a traveling salesman or I guess "chauffer", depositing them at whatever activity they have for the week, and both cousins have at least 1 thing each day :S) , unfortunatley even when I plan for the best in models sometimes it takes a bad turn (seem line is off or showing, have to fix for 7 days, the paint drys bad, thiner and fix, wait for the weather) theres always at least 1 thing that goes "bad" in making a model for me, maybe I should try balsa but I've got a lot of plastic kits I'd love to get done :D Currently it'll probobly take me 70 years of straight on modeling at my pace, but I enjoy it :)

But on that note, I'll definatley want to do the WW1 GB, I love the Nieuports and their designs :D plus wood grainy demo! :D

P.S> when we all enter a competition it is in our nature to try to do our best, that might mean someone wins, someone loses, but on this forum people try to concentrate more on what its possible for them to acheive, maybe try out a new method on a model, when you enter the GB, you are prepared to "compete" against other members, and if its possible for you, you want to try and make your best effort at it (if you know how to elimate seams and mask canopys, weather aircraft etc thats what you'll try to do) The GBs are part lesson and part competition, but if you know how to weather an aircraft, fix a seam and your good at it, your not going to skip out just to complete the aircraft in time, you want your best foot forward. Thats what takes time for some of us, along with our other activities, its time consuming.

Last edited:
I see your point, and understand the limitations of time for the 'average' person - being retired due to disability, I have an advantage there. However, entering a GB has a lot to do with the choice of subject, it's complexity or simplicity, and, of course, the abilities of the modeller. This latter point should be considered before entering a GB - will my abilities, along with time available, allow me to finish the model, or at least almost finish the model, in the time allowed?
If the answer is YES, then no problem in entering. If the answer is NO, then perhaps entering is a mistake - unless it's for the taking part and learning or sharing.
On average, a 1/48th scale 'fighter size' model, takes me about 60 to 80 hours to complete - bearing in mind my knackered hands and lack of articulation slow things down considerably. So, if we say that a competent modeller can do the same model in around 55 hours, then over the space of four months, that equates to a touch over 2 hours per day, or 15 hours and 15 minutes per week. If a 'good run' can b e achieved over a weekend, then the 'daily' time can be reduced to less than 1 hour per day. Given that this time is available, then a GB can be completed - if not, then it can't.
It may well be that the chosen subject can be completed faster, depending on complexity, skills, speed and ability of working etc, so the time required could be considerably less, maybe 30 or 40 hours, therefore allowing more 'daily' or 'weekly' time slots.
The decision is on whether to enter is that of the individual - either enter for the 'spirit' of the thing, or, if absolutely no chance of even getting part way, and would rather build in 'your own time', then don 't enter.
Personally, I will be having a break from a few GBs, as I have a number of projects, including some un-finished ones, which I want to concentrate on, and will no doubt take longer per build than a GB would.

I don't look at them as a competition; sure, we vote on members choice and the judges hand out 1st, 2nd, 3rd, but it is learning and getting to see some fine builders in action that I like the most. I stand in awe of the guys here, we all have things that we do better, or worse than the next guy, (except Wayne, he is in a class by himself. Personaly, I think he is in league with the dark side!), I don't worry about whether or not I get any votes, I am having fun. Life gets in the way, but that is true of anything, you learn what is important and make time for that. Be it modeling, recreational drinking, sport, or lugging around kids to their activites.
Now I have to get back to putting sticky things on the F-8 so I can take advantage of the rare sunshine for my finish shots!
Happy modeling, y'all!

I tell people as possible to hallucinate more jobs, the issue is not the time I miparte is more than enough as I normally do two models except the GB14 that is giving me a lot kinght war with closure cabin looks to fill many faults and is very complicated, the problem of the breakdown of the printer, I also find the solution delay, but as you see no problems to participate if there is no not yet arrived there compalñeros jobs that are in principle last year and are still working on them, immediately.
I do not think the second part is by the time you want to compete to win (not my case), or as a good friend airframes have more work to end that day in the year, X), or you have to shame that it is not how well we would like but I always say the same thing for this is never so good that we wanted is what you want to get better and better. Briefly summarizing GB is an event rather than compete with yourself to overcome and share it with colleagues and friends, learn and try to teach something that someone does not know, the rest if it is well come.

as well airframes explains each must assess the level and choose within the complexity and difficulty of the subject as easy for this way everyone can participate, but even when you have all three categories novice, intermediate and advanced.

Since I participated in these events I am more confident that faileth better models, not caring even to be voted, from then on everything grown to be well received.

to work indoors hai many means that can be used for working segur eventhough we have 1 or 2 feet of snow on the street. such as paint booths at very affordable removable fengua for instance, plastic boxes for clothing are great for planes close to dry, for space also has a solution since I live in an apartment of 54 square meters with two rooms lounge and kitchen but I did not place in the bedroom, and the day will come again to take my craft room, everything is there to conform to what, as a wise man once said "the will is power"

Now if the build time was extended to 6 months I might be in with a chance the 109 is nearly complete just the exhaust staining to do.

I'm still a bit foggy about the GB decision. What exactly is a group build. I'm retired and treat my model work as "My Job" much to my wife's chagrin. She says, "You can't refer to your hobby as 'work'". She's right, of course. My Tamiya Missouri took 13 months to complete. At the time I was doing some consulting work so I wasn't "permanently on vacation" like I am now. I've also built some model railroad structures that have taken many months to complete. One was a scratch-built 1:48 power substation with all but the main transformer created from ABB drawings. It took almost a year to complete.

IMG_2777.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back