History according to random people...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That expression I've never heard before!!
It's been said before, you learn a lot on this forum!
With the current heated politics here in the U.S. with the presidential candidates mud-slinging on each other, people seem appalled and claim this sets a precedent...but hardly.

Along the lines of "Northern Aggression" would be the politics of the mid-19th century, where the Senators would actually get into fist fights on the Senate floor over heated debates and it reached a peak in the late 1850's over the imbalanced tariffs imposed on the Southern states by the Northern majority in the house. There was an imbalance of representation since the Northern states had a majority and heated debates over issues would often times degrade into ugly brawls.

This is one of the contributing factors that led to the succession of the Southern states...something that is HARDLY touched on in current school history lessons. This very same problem of a balanced representation is going on in California at the moment, as the denser population areas, particularly the Southern portion, have a higher number of seats in the State Senate than the rural and Northern areas...leading to a movement to divide the state into two halves. A stupid idea, really....but a clear and classic example of how the American Civil War started.

A few years ago I worked a lot in Italy and obviously with Italians, almost all from the northern cities. Evey single one of them wanted the north (Padania) to secede from the rest of Italy. When I asked about Rome I generally got a two word reply along the lines of 'f**k Rome'. What they said about Naples, Bari etc can't even be repeated, even with asterisks, here :)
Cheers
Steve

Twas the same in Illinois where the densely populated Cook county and its collar counties have more people than the rest of the state combined. Therefore whatever Chicago wanted it got with the sparsely populated southern 2/3 of the state footing the bill.
Illinois now holds the dubious record for the longest budgetary foot-dragging in recent memory, according the National Conference of State Legislatures. (Until this week, Pennsylvania had tied with Kentucky, which didn't get around to approving its fiscal 2003 budget until late March of that year.)
Despite their spectacular fiscal fail, lawmakers in the Land of Lincoln are showing little sign of progress in breaking the deadlock, now dragging on nine months past the deadline. Since then, Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner has been holding out for a package of business incentives and changes in collective bargaining laws that a Democratic-controlled legislature wants no part of.
The impasse has already forced cuts in education and social services and produced a steadily rising stack of nearly $6.5 billion in unpaid bills. The state's controller, Leslie Munger, has estimated the backlog could top $10 billion by the time the current fiscal year ends in July. That money that will have to be made up in next year's budget, which is technically due July 1.
"The bottom line is the state cannot go bankrupt and we cannot print money," Munger told reporters last month. "Taxpayers are going to have to pay this bill."

Es tut mir leid. I didn't think that that was political. It's what is going on in Illinois. Fortunately I be in Arkansas now

Because we have the bacon!!
Release the Kraken!!

kraken_rum.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back