History of ww2aircraft.net (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maybe Lord A*rshole, Fifth Earl Of Whoopass?

Do we all have to bow and walk backwards out the doors now, to show our respect and insignificance to you and your pure, unadulterated, out of control whoopassness?

Heres my actual first post, thanks Marcel for diggin the thread up... How the hell did u find it....

07-27-2004, 01:27 AM #237
lesofprimus
Minister of Whoopass
Just found this site, and i think its great... i have some info on Rudel that might clear up some opinions and misinformation on the Stuka as a tank-buster...

Oberst Hans-Ulrich Rudel was actively involved in the developement of the Ju-87G-1 "flying tank destroyer" and participated in trials at Rechlin and Tarnewitz in early 1943... The first operational trials took place on 16 March, 1943... By 5 July 1943, which was the start of Operation "Zitadelle", the first 2 Ju-87G-1 equipped Staffeln were operational: Pz.J.Sta/St.G 1 and St.G 2...

On the same day, Hptm Rudel, destroyed a complete company of 12 attacking Soviet T-34's... 12 of em...

Rudel was shot down 30 times by Anti-Aircraft fire, never by a fighter...

He did in fact sink the Soviet Battleship Marat at Kronshtadt, on 21 Sept 1941... He scored a direct hit on Marat with an ordinary 1,102 lb bomb on 16 Sept, but the 2,205 lb armour piercing bomb dropped 5 days later split the ship in half... Kronshtadt was defended by more than 1,000 AA guns...

And he shot down 9 enemy aircraft, including 7 fighters, while flying the 87G...

He was so despised by the Soviet Regime, that a price of 100,000 rubels was put on his head, dead or alive...

The 87G-1 was basically a conversion of the 87D-3 with attachment points to carry the 2x 37mm Flak 18 cannons... Often had improved ground vision panel in the cockpit floor...

The D-3 was a basic "Dora" airframe with added armour protection for the crew, radiators, and engine... Deleted those sickening dive sirens...

The Ju-87G-2 was a conversion of the 87D-5 airframe, which had tapered and extended wings, mass-balanced ailerons, reinforced ground observation panel, and deleted the wing dive brakes and fixed wing armament (2x 20mm MG 151/20 cannon)... Occasionally used 8.8 lb. SD4/HL hollow charge bombs, fitted with rocket boosters, against Soviet tank concentrations...

The 37mm BK 3.7 Flak 18 anti-tank cannon weighed 600lbs, was 11 ft 10 inches long with a 6 ft 11 inche long barrel... Muzzle velocity was 2,610-2,820 ft/second... Rtae of fire was 140 rds/min... Effective range was 2,000 meters (6,600 ft)... Fired 2 kinds of rounds... Tungsten-carbide core armour peircing tracer and high explosive tracer... Tungsten round weighed in at 1.37 lbs.... Carried 2x 6 round magazines per gun...

Enough for now.. I'm beat... More later...

And my second post.....

If I'm not mistaken, we are talking about the tank busting capabilities of the different aircraft available during WW2... The Stuka had been around since 1938 in a dive bomber role... Not a tank busting role...

When the Stuka finally started blasting away russian tanks, their philosphy had changed... They flew low to the ground, albeit not very fast... They removed dive brakes and associated hardware that made it famous during the earlier part of the war...

Keep in mind how the battlefield operated during these latter parts of the war... Furious armoured attacks and counterattacks... There really was no clear owner of the skies in a air-superiority role... The 87G-1 2 flew off dirt roads and such, and were called upon in decisive breakouts and on the spot emergencies...

Air superiority was NOT a factor in the tank busting role of the Stuka 87G during the western assault... There really was no such thing as air superiority on this type of fast moving, move and countermove, battlefield...

The records are sorta sketchy concerning the # of tank busting 87G's that were lost to groundfire vs. enemy air action... Obviously, the # lost to AA was very , very high...

But... Remeber how they operated these machines... Fly in low, and either a rear on attack or side on... If u did get shot down by AA, and alot of them did, u usually ended up in ur own lines.. And because the Suka was such a well designed, study aircraft, the pilots usually survived, walked back to their airfields, climbed into another plane, and went right back up....

Rudel was one such man... Probably the greatest pilot that has everflown in the skies...

Found this while googling. A little nostalgia for the "older ones among us"

2002 (no user count):
Aircraft of World War II

2003 (67 users, 40 posts)
Aircraft of World War II Note the user count, says 67 :lol:

Jan 2004 (127 users, 269)
Aircraft of World War II

Dec 2004 (439 users, 40436 posts (!)
Aircraft of World War II

Jan 2006: 2114 users, 132848 posts
Aircraft of World War II - WWII Aircraft, WWII Aviation, and More

Jan 2007: no user count
Aircraft of World War II

I had forgotten how small the site was when I joined, compared to now. Of course, I was inactive for a long time, it was sad to see when I came back that some of the older faces (lanc, mosquitoman, Cheddar cheese etc.) were no longer active on the board

I was big knowitall when I joined it seemed.... I get kinda assholish in that thread as well.....

...and it has never changed! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had forgotten how small the site was when I joined, compared to now. Of course, I was inactive for a long time, it was sad to see when I came back that some of the older faces (lanc, mosquitoman, Cheddar cheese etc.) were no longer active on the board
Wonder if any of those of the old guard stop by and snoop around today, without logging on.....

Heres my actual first post, thanks Marcel for diggin the thread up... How the hell did u find it....
It's a kind of Magic :lol:

album-a-kind-of-magic.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back