Hobby Shops? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I actually went to that very hobby shop at lunch and took a picture of HUMA kit section. (Damn! Didn't realize it was so blurry, was trying to do it on the down-low) Enjoy!

IMG_20130912_121914_951.jpg

The best hobby shop I was ever in was Stanton, in Chicago. Alas, that was about 40 years ago. I found the four-stroke miniature radial engines incredibly fascinating. I wanted one, but the price tag (iirc, $1500) was a bit daunting....

Damn! What is that like, $20,000.00 in todays money?

By the way, I saw on the back of an old issue of Airpower/Wings that at one time there was like 5 Squadron hobby shops. Evidently, there was even one here on Long Island.

Yep, I've got modelling magazines from the 1970s and 1980s, with ads for their shops, including the one in New York. Back then, that would have been an Alladin's Cave for anyone from the UK !
As a kid, in the 1960's and right up to early adulthood, I used to go virtually every Saturday, to 'The Model Shop' on Blenheim Street (appropriate name!) in Newcastle. It was established circa 1920, on a corner block, three stories crammed with everything then available for modellers - a wonderful place!
Even after leaving the North East, over 40 years ago, I used to call in when visiting my parents or when on business in the area, and it had hardly changed. Sadly, the last time I went, some eight or more years ago, it had gone, presumably absorbed by 'Model Zone' or some similar 'toy shop' type of outfit. It must have been a great loss to all types of modellers and model engineers in the area.
Support your local shop - or lose it !

Yep, I've got modelling magazines from the 1970s and 1980s, with ads for their shops, including the one in New York. Back then, that would have been an Alladin's Cave for anyone from the UK !
As a kid, in the 1960's and right up to early adulthood, I used to go virtually every Saturday, to 'The Model Shop' on Blenheim Street (appropriate name!) in Newcastle. It was established circa 1920, on a corner block, three stories crammed with everything then available for modellers - a wonderful place!
Even after leaving the North East, over 40 years ago, I used to call in when visiting my parents or when on business in the area, and it had hardly changed. Sadly, the last time I went, some eight or more years ago, it had gone, presumably absorbed by 'Model Zone' or some similar 'toy shop' type of outfit. It must have been a great loss to all types of modellers and model engineers in the area.
Support your local shop - or lose it !

same here mate, had one in Stockton, it still exists but has moved to a smaller unit and deals more for RC stuff now.
i remember it had walls full of model kits, die cast and diorama materials and a little room just for scalextic's cars, used to love going in there as a kid

The best hobby shop I was ever in was Stanton, in Chicago. Alas, that was about 40 years ago. I found the four-stroke miniature radial engines incredibly fascinating. I wanted one, but the price tag (iirc, $1500) was a bit daunting....
Stanton's was my local hobby shop until it closed down five or six years ago. A guy running another shop told me his help were robbing him blind when he wasn't there. That guy's gone too. I live in the city and now have to go way out to the suburbs to even buy a jar of paint as there are no shops left in Chicago. There use to be Trost Hobby Shop on the south side and Hills Hobbies just over the border in Park Ridge. All gone now.

crys_zps322c2fea.gif
At the end of this month my LHS is shutting down. Guy has been in the business for 30 years; but the economy , RC, the interweb, and very few "new to the hobby" kids have combined to shut him down.

Gonna miss the bench modeling and general gentle bs .

I personally don't "do" model clubs, as I don't like the, very, few "old guard" that know it all and aren't afraid to never let you forget it
getsmileyCAS2JLY0.gif

One of my best pals in Sweden, tries to get me into R/C, but I keep saying that plastic is cheaper, in case you crash! :lol:
Makes you wonder, what's so special about R/C, I mean, how often do they look like the real thing, if you, like me, want something sounds good, maybe not a fully functional scale engine, but you know what I mean, and looks like it should, I mean, Corsair, Mustang, Fw 190 or whatever, with a twobladed prop is just wrong, and if you want a good decent jet engine, they cost a bl**dy fortune!!

Damn! What is that like, $20,000.00 in todays money?

By the way, I saw on the back of an old issue of Airpower/Wings that at one time there was like 5 Squadron hobby shops. Evidently, there was even one here on Long Island.

$20,000 sounds about right.

I do remember the Squadron shops, but mostly from their catalogue. Right now, within reasonable driving distance, there is one real hobby shop. I don't count Hobby Lobby as a hobby shop....

Just found two hobby shops here in Glasgow, need to try and visit them at some point!

Wildcat Models, on 257 Dumbarton Road and Scott's Models, 9 St Margaret's Pl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back