Hobby Shops?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Jeez, I thought you were talking about something like this. This is the Hobby Shop my dad owned in the 1960s...

shop77_n.jpg

One of my favorite hobby shops was one in Cherryhill N.J., IIRC. Two stories, back in the '80's. I visited it a couple of times.
Then there was the one in Phoenix, at 19th ave and Northern,.. Both long gone now.
It is a shame. I used to see so many hobby stores around the country, and when I try to find them again, they are gone.
Support your local hobby store!
The internet is great, but there is nothing like going into a shop and spending a couple of hours shmoosing around with some kits in your hands.

When I was a kid living in Oakland CA I could ride me old push bike to three hobby stores in the area. One was pretty much all balsa, on plastic and the other was a mixture but mostly toys............. F you very much Toys R Crap!

In the 80's there was one in Fremont CA the size of a grocery store. Separate departments for it all, trains, dolls and houses, plastic, balsa planes and gliders, dios, tools, even knitting and fabrics. Another small one in San Lorenzo mostly trains but good plastic kits and balsa flying stuff..

Of course this was all before accessories like PE and resin. It was all so simple then.

There is still a really good one here on Long Island. Half the store is plastic kits. To give you an idea of the volume he has, he still has a stack of "HUMA" kits that haven't been sold.

They were a German manufacturer that made 1/72 scale Luftwaffe kits. Mostly esoteric, with one or two Luftwaffe '46 kits as well. Originally sold in bags, but later in boxes. I heard they went under after they extended too much credit to a hobby supplier and never got the money. I liked them and have quite a few in my stash.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back