Home made "Pro Weld"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muscogeemike

Senior Airman
Jun 18, 2010
rural east Texas
I once read a formula how to make glue (like Ambroid Pro Weld) using nail polsh remover and another ingredient. Can anyone provide me with that formula and the ratios?

Not sure about ratios, but go to any 'traditional' printers, and ask them to sell you some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), which is used for cleaning printing plates, among other things.
It should work out a lot cheaper than buying the modelling version, and cheaper still than making your own.

MEK goes for about twenty quid a litre in the UK.
Not sure what you'd do with an entire litre, but there you go.
Cheers
Steve

Be careful if you use M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) while it is a good substitute for Ambroid and Tenax, the stuff should only be used with adequate ventilation, or at least while wearing a paint respirator because of the toxic fumes. Also, it is HIGHLY flammable so don't use near any open flame. Tenax and Ambriod are toxic too because of the ingredients used, Methyl Ethyl Chlorine, which attacks the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system, and will cause CANCER if inhaled over long periods. Any of these are best applied with Flex-I-File's Touch-N-Flow applicator. Brushes always give that first big drop at the end when first applied. The bottom line is any glue used for styrene is not good to be inhaled or spilled on your skin. I also believe that both the Tenax7R and Ambroid have been discontinued due to Big Brother protecting us.
A good substitute is IPS Weld-On #3 which is also Methylene Chloride
This is why I use Tamiya, it is Butyl Acetate plus Acetone and won't evaporate in 5 min if the cap is left off

Good points Mike, but all solvents should be used with good ventilation.

It's all a matter of your exposure. If you are using these compounds as a solvent for gluing a model together and replacing the cap between jobs (I do because I don't want my glue disappearing into the atmosphere) then your exposure will be very low, minimal. Obviously an open window helps.

I used to use a lot of organic solvents in my previous life as a chemist, and in ways in which my potential exposure was far greater. All laboratories have protocols in place for the use of potentially harmful compounds which one is obliged to follow, most of which would scare the pants off the uninitiated, rather like reading material data safety sheets (MSDS) without really understanding them.

Common sense should suffice for our use as hobbyists.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the input. I just received some Tenax and some off brand "Pro Weld"; and MEK is still (as far as I know) available in hardware stores here so I'm OK for now.
I was curious more than anything else since I had seen the formula on some site but your suggestions are great.
Thanks again.

Aha yes the days when Big Brother did not guarantee cradle to grave protection. The days of mercury thermometers, 1 pound jars of triple distilled mercury disloved in nitric acid to make an amalgamating solution to dip metals in and coat with mercury (coins, belt buckles, buttons, ect). Non-absorbant cotton soaked in nitric acid.
Terry you anarchist!!, peroxides are always fun. Works even better with acetone
Good times!

Last edited:
Aha yes the days when Big Brother did not guarantee cradle to grave protection.

Back when I lived in the nanny state UK I had reason to buy chemicals for metal treatment, acids\solvents mostly.
I used to truck on down to the local industrial supplier and to cut through the bull I would show them my registered firearm dealers certificate as proof that they could sell me some phosphoric acid or whatever.
It didn't give me any special legal rights regarding chemicals but producing a piece of official paperwork issued by the police saying I was licenced to manufacture and sell firearms would fry their brains to the point where they would give me anything I asked for without any questions :D

I just picked up three bottles of PrpWeld today at my hobby shop. Had four and I took three. Got six more in the fridge.

The days of mercury thermometers, 1 pound jars of triple distilled mercury disloved in nitric acid to make an amalgamating solution to dip metals in and coat with mercury (coins, belt buckles, buttons, ect).

Mercury is a classic case of what I mean. Read the MSDS on it and you'd be surprised that any of us are still alive. I remember a demonstration in which Mercury was frozen in liquid Nitrogen in a plasticene mold to make a hook which of course melted as soon as anything at room temperature was hung on it, much to the delight of we watching kids. It was like something out of a Terminator film, though they were many years in our future. We pushed it together into one large lump with our bare hands and marvelled at how heavy it was. You won't see that in a class room today, but it was things like that that led to me becoming a chemist. I just thought it was really cool and still remember it about forty five years later!

It is classified as an extreme poison and of course it is very toxic, as long as it gets into your system, and therein lies the rub. Inhale the vapour and you are in big trouble. The most famous case of 'Mercury' poisoning actually involved Methylmercury, a form readily assimilated by biological systems.

Cheers

Steve

Even house and sign painters were at high risk in the Old days.
50 pounds of white lead to 5 Gal of linseed oil made house white wash.
White lead, linseed oil and pigment made sign writers paint.

How much glue I inhaled making stick and paper planes in my little bedroom when I was a kid? I have nooooo idea. But I could hear brain cells popping in my head.

Look at any of the new Chemistry Lab manuals and they are about the same as my old Gilbert Chemistry Set. No more chlorates and organics, exploding sinks due to silver chloride built-up in the trap into which ammonium hydroxide gets dumped (silver azide), decomposition of mercury salts (silver mirror), thermite reactions, sugar and sodium peroxide, picric acid, acetylene gas and chlorine gas, Group Ia metals in water, even the flame tests for metallic salts in burning alcohol have been banned. Fume hoods are no longer in chem labs because "You shouldn't be doing anything in the lab that requires them"
Biology no longer does disections because they can be done via computer simulation

It infiltrates all aspects. Knew a kid who wanted to be a comic book penciler. Never had a life drawing class.........
Nudes???????????????????? No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the.

Big Brother Knows Whats Best!!!

Attachments

• Big_Brother_is_Watching_Wide.png
    Big_Brother_is_Watching_Wide.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
"We can not read the Safety Manual, as the Risk Assessment states that the weight of said manual could cause strain on the wrist joints, and personal injury if dropped on one's foot. Therefore it is too dangerous to read the Safety Manual".
"CAUTION ! This packet of peanuts may contain traces of nuts."
And Mike will be familiar with this one, embossed onto the front of the Claymore mine "Front Towards Enemy" - for **** sake, as if you'd point it towards yourself !!!

I was working in Glasgow recently, on Glasgow Green. At our 'elf and safety induction the safety officer said in all seriousness that there was a potential risk of an aeroplane making a forced landing on the green as it was the only open ground in the vicinity. He cited the uncontrolled crash of the El Al 747 cargo aircraft into a block of flats near Amsterdam as a precedent, somewhat irrelevantly I thought.
To say I struggled to keep a straight face would be an understatement.
Cheers
Steve

Yea you betcha Terry, Laughed my bass off when I first saw it. We also "souped" them up a wee bit. And they do blow backwards as well

Attachments

• ClayR.jpg
    ClayR.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 154

Users who are viewing this thread

Back