Hot rods and Kustoms.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lol...no Mopar.

If it's any consolation, my Grandfather (Dad's side) was a Chrystler executive up till he passed away and my Grandmother had a new Mopar when ever she wanted. When I was a kid, she used to have a '64 Dart GT, fire engine red with a black vinyl top, auto trans (pushbuttons on the dash) with a Commando V-8...she kept that car for years, but then traded it in on something else...don't remember what, now.

So, that make ya' feel a little bit better? :lol:

Back in 1961, for my high school graduation my parents bought me a 1958 Mercury Super Marauder This is one of those little known "one year only" super muscle cars from a manufacturer not known at the time for performance. Dubbed the Super Marauder, the option was available across the Mercury line. Sporting 430 cubic inches and packing 400 horsepower. You did not want to tangle with one of these things on the street. They weighed in at around the same tonnage as the 300C.
The 430 inch MEL (Mercury-Lincoln-Edsel) engine was produced from 1958 through 1965. The Super Marauder used an aluminum intake with three two barrel Holley series 2300 carburetors. The 1958 Super Marauder was the first American production automobile engine to attain an advertised 400 horsepower rating.
The compression ratio started at 10.5:1 for these engines.

Attachments

• 1958_mercury.jpg
    1958_mercury.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 609
  • 1958%20Mercury%20Convertible.jpg
    1958%20Mercury%20Convertible.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Had mine painted Dark blue metal flake with a white top. Interior was all "roll and pleat". With the shaved heads, 13:1 compression, .030 over bore, 3/4 race Isky cams, 4-speed Hurst, and straight pipes, used to turn 11sec 1/4 miles at US 30 drag strip.

Last edited:
Stock it was 400hp the 6-pack was too hard to balance so I went to dual quads. Sunoco 260 was all I could burn without knock and it could not be started hot. Got about 4-5 mpg. Never had it dyno tested but easily another 100hp. Used to replace universals about every month. Dad used to say it was up on blocks more than on the road

Ah, memories of my teens in Red Deer Alberta. There were several flat-head powered rods in town, but the 'rods' that stick in my mind were unusual. A 1950 Dodge Coupe with a rodded flat-head six that had a unique sound. A 1949 Merc convert with a Pontiac V-8. A real sleeper....a 1952 Morris Minor with a Buick V-8! A real traffic light monster.:shock::D

When the time comes, oh yes it will (wink), it'll be either a '32, '34, '36 or '40 (pickup) Ford, '49 Mercury or a '39 Chevy! 8)

Here's another thing, that I've been wondering about...
When it all started back in the day, if you had a radio in the garage where you were working on your wheel, or when meeting your pals at 'Sloppy Joe's' or whatever, hotrod or kustom, which was the hottest acts to listen to back then, for this guys (and gals)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back