How Much?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lol you guys are funny

how silly would you feel if he was telling the truth?

Then again how much worse would you feel if he was telling the truth and was about to post more pictures and info but decided not to after seeing this.....ok you might never find out but it's something to think about.

lol you guys are funny

Then again how much worse would you feel if he was telling the truth and was about to post more pictures and info but decided not to after seeing this.....ok you might never find out but it's something to think about.
I find it higly unlikely that he would have a Corsair in his barn....and if he does I certainly would hope he would post pictures.

Maybe he was talking about this:

59edsel2.jpg

Tech speaking, he never said it was an airplane :)

lol you guys are funny

If he were telling the truth, I would be the first to apologize.

I then ask you this however? How could he be telling the truth when there was no such thing as a F4F Corsair Trainer....

One was converted, but they were never put into production.

lol you guys are funny

danjama;

Based on his initial comments, it was plain to see he was lying. F4U avionics? There are a few of us who have worked on and restored warbirds and I could tell you when one uses certain terms and makes statements inconsistent with aircraft restoration and maintenance, it raises a flag. I make this statement with having worked in the aircraft business for over 30 years, I'm an A&P/IA and I have assisted in the restoration of several warbirds and helicopters.

Now you have something to think about

The stories of a rare <airplane, car, tractor, etc> being found in a barn have played out so many times. Yes, there have been some gems found in barns, but there have been a lot more fabrications of things found in barns than actual rare things.

We had some kid not that terribly long ago claim that his grandfather managed to bring back an Me-262 from the war and kept it in a barn.

We also had some kid who claimed that his father killed "dozens of japs" witha .50 caliber in each hand, like Rambo.

We have heard about everything here as admins and mods and usually when it smells like BS, it is. I'd be more than happy to eat my words if there really is a Corsair in a barn that runs "a little rough" and is restorable by someone who claims to be a landscaper/student.

The stories of a rare <airplane, car, tractor, etc> being found in a barn have played out so many times. Yes, there have been some gems found in barns, but there have been a lot more fabrications of things found in barns than actual rare things.

We had some kid not that terribly long ago claim that his grandfather managed to bring back an Me-262 from the war and kept it in a barn.

We also had some kid who claimed that his father killed "dozens of japs" witha .50 caliber in each hand, like Rambo.

We have heard about everything here as admins and mods and usually when it smells like BS, it is. I'd be more than happy to eat my words if there really is a Corsair in a barn that runs "a little rough" and is restorable by someone who claims to be a landscaper/student.

Ditto, the gig is up anyhow. He will probably never post again, because he realized he can not sell his fake "cool" story to anyone.

As far as finding stuff goes, we used to roam the foothills and area mountains, finding alot of interesting things in old buildings and barns. I co-discovered an old Stinson Reliant that was a total mess. It had no engine and the barn it had been in had collapsed on a good portion of it, ruining it beyond repair. But it was still cool to see. Plus we've found old cars (mostly shot up), an old tractor (completely stripped Farmall) plus various tools, glass oil jars and odds ends.

The coolest thing I have found though, was in an old silver mining ghost town in Orange County. On the edge of the ghost town, was a small farmhouse in fair condition and a barn. The barn was in terrible shape, mostly collapsed, with the exception of one corner that looked to be a storage area. We squeezed inside, and it turned out to be a workshop, complete with an anvil, a forge and workbenches with tools and stuff still where they had been left many years before. As I surveyed the room, I realized there was a rifle standing in the far corner, the butt resting on the end of the workbench! My buddy was mad as hell at me because I saw it first...sucks to be him!

It was in remarkable shape, no rust or damage except for a mud-hornet's nest in the end of the barrel. The action was too stiff to check the chamber, so I took it to a gunsmith friend, who discovered it had a round in the chamber and one in the magazine (this is a clear example of why a person should always consider every weapon loaded, and handle it accordingly...this one actually was).

In the end, we gave it a light cleaning, but no restoration. To this day, it is in pretty much the same condition as it was when I found it, proudly displayed in my cabinet.

It is a 1893 Marlin .30-30 rifle with an unusual 25" barrel.

While I am kind of suspicious of the Corsair story, I can say there are cool finds to be had out there...ya' just gotta know where to look!

Attachments

• IMGP7334-ed.jpg
    IMGP7334-ed.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
As far as finding stuff goes, we used to roam the foothills and area mountains, finding alot of interesting things in old buildings and barns. I co-discovered an old Stinson Reliant that was a total mess. It had no engine and the barn it had been in had collapsed on a good portion of it, ruining it beyond repair. But it was still cool to see. Plus we've found old cars (mostly shot up), an old tractor (completely stripped Farmall) plus various tools, glass oil jars and odds ends.

The coolest thing I have found though, was in an old silver mining ghost town in Orange County. On the edge of the ghost town, was a small farmhouse in fair condition and a barn. The barn was in terrible shape, mostly collapsed, with the exception of one corner that looked to be a storage area. We squeezed inside, and it turned out to be a workshop, complete with an anvil, a forge and workbenches with tools and stuff still where they had been left many years before. As I surveyed the room, I realized there was a rifle standing in the far corner, the butt resting on the end of the workbench! My buddy was mad as hell at me because I saw it first...sucks to be him!

It was in remarkable shape, no rust or damage except for a mud-hornet's nest in the end of the barrel. The action was too stiff to check the chamber, so I took it to a gunsmith friend, who discovered it had a round in the chamber and one in the magazine (this is a clear example of why a person should always consider every weapon loaded, and handle it accordingly...this one actually was).

In the end, we gave it a light cleaning, but no restoration. To this day, it is in pretty much the same condition as it was when I found it, proudly displayed in my cabinet.

It is a 1893 Marlin .30-30 rifle with an unusual 25" barrel.

While I am kind of suspicious of the Corsair story, I can say there are cool finds to be had out there...ya' just gotta know where to look!

Put a few rounds through it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back