How safe is your city?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the statistics are compiled by people in a white tie sitting in a cush office with a leather chair and no real knowledge of what is going on outside there secure little world.

And the statistics are compiled by people in a white tie sitting in a cush office with a leather chair and no real knowledge of what is going on outside there secure little world.

The statistics are compiled by the police depts who take the reports.

I suspect that they dont live in a cushy office with a leather chair and no real knowledge of what is going on in their secure little world.

I do not know the rating of my city/town, but I know crime is king here. Many cops are just as crooked as the criminals they are suppose to catch. Law means nothing here to criminals.

Unless they are law enforcement personell (or a reasercher) with access to the crime reports, then their observations are strictly that. Observations. With no access to the reports, then how can they say with a certeinty that what they observe is factual?

And how can he be certein that Trenton is worse than Birmingham or St Louis or wherever, when he hasnt lived in those cities in this year to make meaningfull comparisons.

And we are talking about the here and now, not the past.

Syscom - all I'm going to say is this - that classroom BS you learned in college is good, but it ain't the real world buddy. Criminal Justice is a lot of theory - and I'll leave it at that. Crime rates and reports do not tell the real story, and you're very naive if you think they do. You think municipal politics don't have any influence on what sh*t gets reported and pursued by the police and the numbers are skewed and jerked around? Things are different out there on the streets. You have gangs infesting the whole of NJ lately - they've even been cracking down crips and bloods in Morristown, NJ... a relatively well off town. - You walk down some of these cities and they're smoking crack in the streets, and I'm not F*ing kidding. Come visit some of those places in NJ. The vast majority of that crap ain't reported. Even in your cities on the "safe" list such as woodbridge. The place is going to hell in a handbasket, not as bad as Trenton or newark, but getting there slowly.

I'm not talking about proving statistics to you. There's more to life than crunching numbers to prove this or that true. Experience is way more important and meaningful than a compilation of stats.

Syscom - all I'm going to say is this - that classroom BS you learned in college is good, but it ain't the real world buddy. Criminal Justice is a lot of theory - and I'll leave it at that.

Listen buddy, dont lecture me about the class. The instructor is an active homicide investigator with the OC DA's office. He has no love for politicians or idle theory and teaches the facts. So dont give me any BS that just because the facts dont fit your theory, then they are not factual.

Crime rates and reports do not tell the real story, and you're very naive if you think they do. You think municipal politics don't have any influence on what sh*t gets reported and pursued by the police and the numbers are skewed and jerked around?

I dont know what 3rd world city you live in but police depts do report most of the crime that occurs. The ones that are under reported tend to be low value property crimes. By the way, its kind of hard to under report murder and serious felonies. But I wouldnt suspect you knew that because you havent taken any college level stuff, have you?

Things are different out there on the streets. You have gangs infesting the whole of NJ lately - they've even been cracking down crips and bloods in Morristown, NJ... a relatively well off town.

In the 25 years here in southern cal, I never knew that Los Angeles had a gang probelm

- You walk down some of these cities and they're smoking crack in the streets, and I'm not F*ing kidding. Come visit some of those places in NJ. The vast majority of that crap ain't reported. Even in your cities on the "safe" list such as woodbridge. The place is going to hell in a handbasket, not as bad as Trenton or newark, but getting there slowly.

Provide some empircal evidence.

I'm not talking about proving statistics to you. There's more to life than crunching numbers to prove this or that true. Experience is way more important and meaningful than a compilation of stats.

You proved my point.

Let me just also throw in there that statisticians can "prove" that the holocaust never happened based on population statistics, immigration, mortality and birthrates. Everybody knows that you can make a statistic say anything you want it to say.

You're right, I never took any college level stuff... hopefully one day you will realize that not everything that's written on paper is true... and not everything that is true is on paper.

In the 25 years here in southern cal, I never knew that Los Angeles had a gang probelm.
Because you never spent time in Compton, Inglewood, South Central, Pacoima or East LA, but then again why would you? I'd stay in my corner of OC and at worse deal with some wanna be skin heads! But then again you know as well as I do take a 15 minute ride to Santa Ana and we both know how different it is there! :shock:

Let me just also throw in there that statisticians can "prove" that the holocaust never happened based on population statistics, immigration, mortality and birthrates. Everybody knows that you can make a statistic say anything you want it to say.

What part of the sentence dont you understand....

"Serious crime in a metro area is generally accuratley reported. What isnt reported is statistically not important"

Because you never spent time in Compton, Inglewood, South Central, Pacoima or East LA, but then again why would you? I'd stay in my corner of OC and at worse deal with some wanna be skin heads! But then again you know as well as I do take a 15 minute ride to Santa Ana and we both know how different it is there! :shock:

I was being fecisious (spelling?)

I drove through Santa Ana tonight going to school, and it didnt look "odd"

Been in Compton, Been in Ingle"watts", stayed out of South LA and never went to east LA or Pacoima because it was too far away.

It is spelled "facetious." By the way, college boy, just so you know a little bit about who you have been mocking with your statistical studies - I busted my a** and won a scholarship, I have two degrees and graduated with highest honors. I believe in nothing but service to God, Country, and Family. I joined the USMC, been in a couple years and now I'm halfway through flight school. HQMC is sending me to fly Ospreys, so they must have some faith in me as a pilot. When my 20 years are up - I'll fly medevac because I have a skill that I can use to help others. I have a wife and a baby on the way who will be here in 2 short months.

Now, what I definitely don't need is a college punk giving me a condescending attitude and mocking my lack of education. By the way, empirical is defined as derived from experience. I gave my opinion based on growing up and spending 20 some-odd years in NJ. Then, you asked for empirical evidence. Do yourself a favor and pick up a dictionary once in a while. Also, know who you're dealing with before you start insulting someone with your "academic superiority."

I drove through Santa Ana tonight going to school, and it didnt look "odd"

Been in Compton, Been in Ingle"watts", stayed out of South LA and never went to east LA or Pacoima because it was too far away.

Do Santa Ana on a Friday night, even Costa Mesa right off the 405 (Beach)could be a little raunchy....

I had to say at that motel 6 one night - a huge fight broke out by the restaurant and gas station in front of the hotel - Asians and Mexicans - two came running up on me while I was trying to get into my hotel room. Thank god that trip I brought a 9mm Tokarev with me - one flash of the 'hog's leg' and they took off running, one of the few times I ever had to pull a gun on someone with the intent of using it.

You live in a unique situation - you're surrounded by some of the most safest and affluent neighborhoods in the country but at the same time 30 miles up the 405 are some of the most crime ridden neighborhoods in the country and that element sometimes finds its way to your neck of the woods....

I lived in Southern California from 1976-83 and then again from 1988-2003 and traveled extensively from San Diego to Santa Barbara, I've been in the good neighborhoods and the not so good, but I could tell you if you mix the whole environment together you have an over taxed crowded crime ridden corner of the world where every swinging d*ck in each corner of the world wants to live. To me it ain't worth trying to function there (unless you're self employed and live a block from the beach and don't have to commute anywhere, you don't live in Southern California, you "function"). I really didn't realize how bad the whole environment was until I left in 2003 and then came back for visits and business trips. As I stated before, there was no love loss when seeing the "Welcome to California" sign in my rear view mirror.

Very well said mkloby and FBJ. That is an arguement that I have had with syscome almost from day one. I dont care what paper says, I dont care what you read, I dont care what people think. The only thing that counts is experience in the subject. If you dont have it, shut up...

I have to totally agree with you there. I have done tons of post secondary education and stats was one of my favorite. I have been in Management for 16 years now and one thing that I know is this.....I can make stats say anything I want. The old saying "stats lie" is very true, if you want to decieve people with stats you can do it.

Syscom I have alot of respect for your ability to gather information and I am not saying your made up the stats or even that they are wrong. All I am saying is people can't blindly believe everything that stats say. People can skew stats intentionaly (was the police department trying to get their budjet increased that year so they creatively massaged those stats to show they need more of the budjet money that year? Not saying thats what happened I am just saying that could happen) and unintentionaly when they gather them. Stats are a tool and a valueable one at that but they are a tool to help you see the truth, but they should not be blindly followed either.

I think Chris, Joe and Mkloby have valid points. But I also think that Syscom stats hold some weight also.

SO what the hell I am saying?? I guess I am saying that the truth is some where inbetween stats and real experences and you all have valid points.

Mkloby congrats on your soon to be Fatherhood, Fatherhood is the hardest and most rewarding experence in the world. It will 100% change your life for the better (although perhaps at the lack of many hours of sleep, graying hair, lossing hair, etc :lol: ). I know through first hand experence myself.

Syscom get off your high horse right this very ****ing moment! You are not the only one in here who has been to college or university. If I were you I would back the **** up right now!

Yup totally agree, Chris

Damn is this forum getting smaller or is someone's ego getting bigger. Syscom you are a smart guy no one will deny that but your ego gets so big at times it has it own gravitational pull!! Just explain your points minus the attitude and condescending tone and people will not have a problem with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back