Identifying new WW2 wreck off Pt Loma, San Diego

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

congrats on the find, I look for ww2 aircraft wrecks where ever im on holidays, but usually in clean waters. youve got to deal with the cold, bad viz and Sharks. well done

Thanks! We recently also found an F8F Bearcat that is almost completely intact. I'm glad you send me this note. I was going to post about it to this forum but forgot. I'll create a separate post about it shortly.

- brett

Thanks! We recently also found an F8F Bearcat that is almost completely intact. I'm glad you send me this note. I was going to post about it to this forum but forgot. I'll create a separate post about it shortly.

- brett
Bearcat is a rare bird, its a pitty salt water destroys the airframes , in many cases the only survivors of some types are in salt water

Bearcat is a rare bird, its a pitty salt water destroys the airframes , in many cases the only survivors of some types are in salt water

Yes, agreed. In case you didn't see the other post I made, here is a link to the info about the F8F-1:

- brett

More about an airplane wreck we found off Pt Loma, San Diego, California.

The visibility was pretty poor on both dives we did and I have wanted to return to build a much better photogrammetry model of the wreck site. We went back last Friday and had excellent conditions. I built a really nice 3D model.

The blog post with all the details, new photos and links to the on-line 3D model is at:

Here is a screen capture of the online 3D model. The wreck has a lot of strawberry anemones which gives the highlights that pink color.

Regards,

- brett

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread