If the Rare Bear became a ww2 fighter.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good perspective Biff. Thanks for taking the time.

Drgondog,
No sweat! I "take" (learn) so much more than I "give" (contribute). I just try to bridge between what is written either in history or in here and "translate" it from the perspective of someone who has touched/lived this world rather intimately, although from a different time.
Cheers,
Biff

Is there any fighter which can go with max power continuous?
cimmex

The only operational fighter that i know of that could do that , was the me 262..the 262 training film states max throttle was 5 minutes while climbing and 15 minutes while in combat, Hans Fey flew at full throttle up to 20 minutes so from this, its over 20 minutes which gives it a huge tactical advantage over its enemies, correct me if im wrong, fighters like the P 51 were 5 minutes max, from what i know now, is that if kept above 280 too 310 mph, the 262 can fly at full throttle continuously, this is of course an indescribable tactical advantage...its not hard to undersatnd the 15 min limit set by high command, flying at full throttle all day would shorten life of an engine that had a life span of aprox 25 hours.

The only operational fighter that i know of that could do that , was the me 262..the 262 training film states max throttle was 5 minutes while climbing and 15 minutes while in combat, Hans Fey flew at full throttle up to 20 minutes so from this, its over 20 minutes which gives it a huge tactical advantage over its enemies, correct me if im wrong, fighters like the P 51 were 5 minutes max, from what i know now, is that if kept above 280 too 310 mph, the 262 can fly at full throttle continuously, this is of course an indescribable tactical advantage...its not hard to undersatnd the 15 min limit set by high command, flying at full throttle all day would shorten life of an engine that had a life span of aprox 25 hours.
Problem being, that the Me262 had 80 minutes (+/-) worth of fuel at regular T/O and cruise and only 30 minutes of fuel under T/O and combat conditions.

Problem being, that the Me262 had 80 minutes (+/-) worth of fuel at regular T/O and cruise and only 30 minutes of fuel under T/O and combat conditions.

Agree.

Agreed - and it did have perhaps .02-.04M advantage over the 51/47 but perhaps zero edge vs Spit.

Yep, British testing after the war showed that the 262 had the highest mach# followed by the Spitfire XIV then by the Tempest.. non of the other jets were even close to the 262...Meteor MK III mach 0.78 Vampire 1 mach 0.76 He 280 mach 0.78 Ar 234 mach 0.80 or 0.82 P80a mach 0.80 or 0.82 F 84 mach 0.82 the later Meteors with lengthen engine nacelles did better than mach 0.78 but not as good as 262, but the Mig 15 and F 86 both had higher mach numbers of course.

As a mechanic of nearly 40 years I reckon I have seen every single bolt and thread size on the planet. From my experience if your stuck with an odd size fastener you need one of these

makita-9557nb-115mm-angle-grinder-4865-p.jpg

Its never failed me yet :lol:

Regarding continuous operation at emergency power, the use of C3 injection on the FW 190 is pretty close.
I don't remember the exact times, but I believe that emergency power could be used for 20 minutes at a time with a 10 minute pause between uses. If this is the case, then it sounds like other than the 10 minute pause, two uses of emergency power would pretty much use up the fuel supply.

- Ivan.

P.S. GregP, The "Merrimac" was a burnt hulk and only served as the powerplant for the CSS Virginia. The CSS Virginia was intended to meet up with Captain Nemo and the Nautilus to convert to Fusion power but just could not get out to open water to do it. One of the other ironclads did make it out to open water, but without radio communication, also did not meet Captain Nemo and instead wound up in the middle east.

History generally records calls a ship with the first christened name, so I used Merrimac, but am very aware of the CSS Virginia name.

Both the Merimac and Monitor were were interesting to me and although it was a joke, it is a neat subject in itself ... for another forum.

Interesting though it may be to me, it sure doesn't fly! Maybe all it needs a flux capacitor from "Back to the Future," along with a fusion garbage fuel port.

History generally records calls a ship with the first christened name, so I used Merrimac, but am very aware of the CSS Virginia name.

I'm not so sure I agree with you about how history records things.

No one ever talks about how the British sank the USS Phoenix in the Falklands War with Argentina. Ever seen anything about Almirante Lattore fighting at the Battle of Jutland in 1916? If the original name is the one to use, then did the Rio de Janeiro or Sultan Osman or was it the HMS Agincourt that fought also at Jutland? Are the Chinese now operating the Riga or Varyag in their navy?

Heck, the Soviet Navy had a great tendency to average about two or three names per ship depending on who was in favour at the time.

- Ivan.

I'm not so sure I agree with you about how history records things.

No one ever talks about how the British sank the USS Phoenix in the Falklands War with Argentina. Ever seen anything about Almirante Lattore fighting at the Battle of Jutland in 1916? If the original name is the one to use, then did the Rio de Janeiro or Sultan Osman or was it the HMS Agincourt that fought also at Jutland? Are the Chinese now operating the Riga or Varyag in their navy?

Heck, the Soviet Navy had a great tendency to average about two or three names per ship depending on who was in favour at the time.

- Ivan.

Ivan, you're terrible :rolleyes:

Call it what you want, gjs238, and I'll do the same. I am FROM the US South and will always call it the Merrimac. But since it has nothing to do with Rare Bear, WWII, or flying, maybe we should move on and recognize a joke when we see one. If we meet on a maritime forum or a civil war forum, I'll debate it, but not in here.

Cheers to you.

Call it what you want, gjs238, and I'll do the same. I am FROM the US South and will always call it the Merrimac. But since it has nothing to do with Rare Bear, WWII, or flying, maybe we should move on and recognize a joke when we see one. If we meet on a maritime forum or a civil war forum, I'll debate it, but not in here.

Cheers to you.
I'm from the south also, I have no idea why you would call it by it's Yankee name.

Because that's the way it was listed in all my history books in high school and college. I know it was the CSS Virginia in Condederate service, but I have read maybe 20 books that listed it as the Merrimac. Naturally, these books are all older ... I graduated from high school in 1968 and you probably have never read the same books.

In the end, I recognize either name and don't really give a hoot which one it is called ... I recognize them both ... the events are the same either way, as are the dispositions of said ships. And I lived in Phoenix during the Falklands war and it was reported as the USS Phoenix there in the papers AND the news, though the name General Belgrano waws also stated at the end of the telecast. So I remember BOTH names equally well.

Again, this isn't related to flying, so let's drop it, OK?

If not, I decline to continue in here per forum protocol. The location of the Monitor is: Coordinates: 35°0′6″N 75°24′23″W. The CSS Virginia resides on the bottom of the James River.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back